Old 18-02-2007, 04:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default night crawlers - deep earth worms

Hi,

What good ideas have you forum users have to encourage deep earth worms in
your garden?

My Uncle was recommending that I dig narrow holes deep into the ground -
using a special machine- ie the one used to collect soil samples. And then
filling it up with green waste- like lawn clippings.

Reckons that's a bit wacky?

Old 18-02-2007, 07:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day wily wilde,

reckon if you just add organic matter as we do with our raised beds
all the worms will habitate your domain sooner or later.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:30:41 +0800, "Wily Wilde"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 27-02-2007, 10:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

I have a fairly big lawn and can collect over a cubic metre of clippings in
one mow. I make sure they are nice and wet then pile them in a big bin and
let them cook until the heat goes out - usually about two weeks. Then I
bury a 10cm layer of the green slimy stuff about 30cm deep - the worms adore
it .

I also run a bottomless worm farm near my veggie patch - all the food scraps
and a bit of shredded paper goes in there - it seems to act as a breeding
ground for worms that then spread out to the garden. I have heard of a
similar (but smaller scale) approach of burying a large plant pot up to its
rim and putting finely chopped food scraps in there. It acts as a high
nutrient breeding ground then the juvenile worms move out through the holes
in the bottom of the pot and start working around the garden.

Cheers,
Geoff

Old 27-02-2007, 12:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

Geoff & Heather wrote:

I also run a bottomless worm farm near my veggie patch - all the food scraps
and a bit of shredded paper goes in there - it seems to act as a breeding
ground for worms that then spread out to the garden.

We occassionally use a topless (use garbo bin lid) and bottomless 40L
drum with this method. Can also wander through the garden. Lift 6" and
leave that much compost behind and slide to a new position.

OTOH, if you have a vege bucket, just digging random holes and dumping
it can be just as easy.

Most of the "compost" worms are not native and need to be fed. They do
not do well in the soil unless there is stuff to eat.