Old 25-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Ian

Default Worms and other crawlers in my pond

Have a small pond, 750 gallons, linered, had it going almost 1 year.

Is it normal to have worms (look like common earth worms) and some white
thingies that look a bit like snails without the shells (or grubs or
something, about an inch or so long) in one's pond?

I am not infested, but there are some.

(I've even seen a goldfish try to eat one of the white thingies, hangs out
the mouth an inch or so.)

Curious...

Old 25-05-2003, 06:56 PM
K30a

Ian wrote Is it normal to have worms (look like common earth worms) and some
white
thingies that look a bit like snails without the shells (or grubs or
something, about an inch or so long) in one's pond?

Yes, the number of critters that live in water is huge.

I've even seen a goldfish try to eat one of the white thingies, hangs out

the mouth an inch or so.

This one though.... almost sounds like anchor worm.

Go here
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...se/disease.htm

and look under parasites, the last one listed.

k30a
Old 26-05-2003, 01:32 AM
GrampysGurl

I've even seen a goldfish try to eat one of the white thingies, hangs out

the mouth an inch or so.

This one though.... almost sounds like anchor worm.

Go here
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...se/disease.htm

and look under parasites, the last one listed.

k30a

I've found both worms and slugs in my pond from time to time.... The goldfish
don't seem to enjoy the slugs much
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 26-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Ian

"K30a" wrote in message
Ian wrote Is it normal to have worms (look like common earth worms) and

some
white
thingies that look a bit like snails without the shells (or grubs or
something, about an inch or so long) in one's pond?

Yes, the number of critters that live in water is huge.

I've even seen a goldfish try to eat one of the white thingies, hangs

out
the mouth an inch or so.

This one though.... almost sounds like anchor worm.

Go here
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...se/disease.htm

and look under parasites, the last one listed.

k30a

Nope, these are relatively large, about an inch or so in length, a good 1/4"
in width, not on the fish but hanging out in the pond.

Old 26-05-2003, 01:21 PM
GrampysGurl

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...rees/ef407.htm

Old 26-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Ian

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message

Nope, these are relatively large, about an inch or so in length, a good

1/4"
in width, not on the fish but hanging out in the pond.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...rees/ef407.htm

I pulled a few out, and they do indeed resemble the grubs that we are
infested with in my area (Toronto).

Ugly buggers they are! grin

Old 27-05-2003, 04:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ian" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
snip
Nope, these are relatively large, about an inch or so in length, a good

1/4"
in width, not on the fish but hanging out in the pond.

snip

Sounds like a grub. Can grubs swim?

BV.

Old 27-05-2003, 06:20 PM
GrampysGurl

Sounds like a grub. Can grubs swim?

BV.

Do you really care? Only good slug is a dead one, I garden bare footed and they
are just nasty beyond words to step on, give me dog poop over them lol.
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 27-05-2003, 08:20 PM
K30a

Here is a page of bugs in the pond, this one of critters that go through a grub
like stage.

http://www.mp.usbr.gov/geospat/olymp...ge/larvae.html

k30a
Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 PM
GrampysGurl

Do you really care? Only good slug is a dead one, I garden bare footed and
they
are just nasty beyond words to step on, give me dog poop over them lol.
Colleen

boy did I sound snotty, my apologies.
Colleen

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Ian

Hummm, they could be Crane Fly larvae, we were infested with Crane Flies
last year. They still look like the grubs I have in my grass.

I'll monitor to see.