Old 27-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Registered User

Default Help with Lavender dying

Hi everyone, wish my first post on here could be under better circumstances:

I'm in south east Victoria and I'm having a drama with the lavender plants in my front garden (Lavender Avonview)

I recently added fertilizer for the first time ever (Rooster Booster) and now:

The leaves are turning yellow on some newly added plants

Ive had two older plants (about 5 years old) die completely and some slightly younger (4-ish years old) plants are drooping and parts dying off.

Is it possible I've made the soil too acidic?

I've always mulched the lavender with bark etc (I recently found out that this isnt ideal for Lavender) but never had a problem.

I dont know for sure if there is a link with this problem and the fertilizer, but it seems more than just a coincidence!

Thanks, Rob.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Looks like you added too much fertilizer? Can you scoop it out - and some of
the top layer and replace it with mulch?

Old 27-10-2008, 05:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Rob81" wrote in message

[...]

It could be over-fertilised. Have you had much rain lately or a burst water
pipe? Lavender hates wet feet.

David

Old 28-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMC View Post
Looks like you added too much fertilizer? Can you scoop it out - and some of
the top layer and replace it with mulch?
Im going to try to scoop out the fertilizer, but I wont top up the mulch, from what Ive read mulch is pretty much a no-no.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
It could be over-fertilised. Have you had much rain lately or a burst water
pipe? Lavender hates wet feet.

David
Rainfall was pretty good over winter, and the front garden is pretty well mulched (the best its ever been) this could be part of the problem as well.

The garden is on a slight south decline and most of the affected plants are up against the front of the house, which is the lowest point in the garden and while I wouldn't say the roof's overhang casts a shadow the area doesnt get 110% full sun all of the time, all the mulch could be contributing to wet feet/root rot.

I'm going to try clearing the mulch around the base of the plants and adding some garden lime.

Is it normal as we head into the heart of spring for the lavender to become a little drier overall? At the tail end of winter/start of Spring the leaves were nice and soft, now it all looks a little drier (but not necessarily drooping)