Old 21-12-2008, 04:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Madarin leaf compost

Hello,

I have a healthy madarin tree in my backyard. When it drops leaves it takes
a long time for them to break down and become compost. Could someone please
advise as to whether it would be worthwhile buying a cheap
composter/shredder to accelerate this process? How long would it take for
the leaves to breakdown in the composter and would this be good for the
garden? The leaves are quite waxy.

Thanks,

Graeme.

Old 22-12-2008, 01:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

10 points for that answer, plus you can also use he mower to mulch other
surplus vegetation. My mulching mower saves me many trips to the tip.

..
"LindaB" wrote in message
"Graeme" graeme wrote:

Hello,

I have a healthy madarin tree in my backyard. When it drops leaves it
takes
a long time for them to break down and become compost. Could someone
please
advise as to whether it would be worthwhile buying a cheap
composter/shredder to accelerate this process? How long would it take for
the leaves to breakdown in the composter and would this be good for the
garden? The leaves are quite waxy.

Thanks,

Graeme.

If you have lawn, and a catcher on your mower, I would just mow them,
then add them to the compost or use the result as garden mulch.

Old 23-12-2008, 02:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
10 points for that answer, plus you can also use he mower to mulch
other surplus vegetation. My mulching mower saves me many trips to
the tip.
.

Just be careful to allow any horse nuggets or other manures to dry for a few
days beforehand.

David

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --