Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default And you want ME to shut up. See how it will affect you!

. au...

it is a bit skimpy on the emphasis the show gave to the (quite astonishing
given that it's a totalitarian state) moves that china is making on
environmental issues:
http://transitiontownsireland.ning.c...icted-to-money

just wanted to say that i would guess totalitarian states always have an
easier time creating change - because they're totalitarian :-) so perhaps
it is not astonishing at all. the chinese govt wouldn't give a wazoo if
everyone was screeching "but it will cost me an extra dollar a week!!! i'm
going to ring up alan jones!!!!"

tee hee. having said that, i saw nicholas stern on lateline last night. he
said environmental issues are the Really Big Worry for people in china
(unlike australians, who'd probably choose something mindless, like house
prices). i speculate that this is because china's environmental problems are
not only pressing, but they're also incredibly _visible_, & that makes a
huge difference to what people care about. everyone in china can literally
see with their own eyes things that are going wrong. therefore, they care
more & are more prepared to do something about it.
kylie