Old 13-12-2009, 09:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Angelica

Does anyone have any experience of grwoing Angelica?

I have a small plant in a pot and want to plant it out in the garden. I
assume by the look of it that it will like some protection from the savage
summer heat (thus semi shade), but what soil conditions does it enjoy and
how much water does it like? Anyone know please?

Old 13-12-2009, 06:24 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 13, 1:45 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of grwoing Angelica?

I have a small plant in a pot and want to plant it out in the garden. I
assume by the look of it that it will like some protection from the savage
summer heat (thus semi shade), but what soil conditions does it enjoy and
how much water does it like? Anyone know please?

Yes, you are correct that it needs some shade during the hot time of
day.
It prefers rich, well drained soil and moisture. Drainage is important
and
it does need some summer water.

Angelica is a biennial, sort-of. If you cut off the flowering stalks
before they
set seed, it will grow for several years.
It has a large tap root, so take care when transplanting it.

It is a very attractive plant, which I haven't grown for awhile. I
think
will go up in the mountains this summer and get some native seeds
Emilie
NorCal
Old 14-12-2009, 02:10 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"mleblanca" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 1:45 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of grwoing Angelica?

(snip)
Yes, you are correct that it needs some shade during the hot time of
day.
It prefers rich, well drained soil and moisture. Drainage is important
and
it does need some summer water.

Angelica is a biennial, sort-of. If you cut off the flowering stalks
before they
set seed, it will grow for several years.
It has a large tap root, so take care when transplanting it.

It is a very attractive plant, which I haven't grown for awhile. I
think
will go up in the mountains this summer and get some native seeds

Thanks for the advice Emilie. Have you ever tried candying the stems? I
love candied Angelica and, since I have not seen candied angelica in the
shops for decades, that is one of the reasons why I want to try growing it.

Old 14-12-2009, 05:45 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 13, 6:10 pm, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 1:45 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of grwoing Angelica?

(snip)

Thanks for the advice Emilie. Have you ever tried candying the stems? I
love candied Angelica and, since I have not seen candied angelica in the
shops for decades, that is one of the reasons why I want to try growing it.

No, sorry, but I never really did anything with my angelica. Just
enjoyed it in
the garden. Maybe I will try candying it this time. Enjoy your
plants.
mle

Angelica Sacha United Kingdom 7 12-08-2013 10:58 PM
Angelica FarmI Edible Gardening 3 14-12-2009 05:45 PM
Angelica Archangelica David Rance United Kingdom 5 07-02-2004 10:45 AM
Angelica Archangelica David Rance United Kingdom 0 06-02-2004 04:38 PM
angelica seeds Marcel Valk United Kingdom 2 09-11-2002 11:31 PM