Old 05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Litl Fish

Default frangipani cuttings

Hi folks,
I read recently (but threw the paper out!) that frangipani can be cut at
this time of year (winter in southern Australia) and that all you have to do
is cut it and dry it for a couple of weeks before planting it. Somehow, I
feel I've forgotten some of the crucial parts, such as: should I stick the
cutting in hormone gel before planting? Should I put it in a particular type
of soil? Does it love sunshine/shade?

I DO remember reading that you make sure the white milky substance that
oozes from the cut must be kept away from the eyes (but hey, I usually don't
insert foreign liquids in my eyes anyway!) and children. That goes for
animals too, I guess.

Anyway, any advice on getting some cuttings from this plant would be greatly
appreciated. It was going great guns until winter, when it started getting a
bit cold and tired. I've since protected it from the cold winds with a clear
plastic surround, which seems to have halted its decline.

Regards,

--
Casey Herman

bizArRTe® digital imagery and twisted IRONy® metal sculpture
t/a twisted IRONy®
Melbourne, Australia
www.twistedirony.com

Old 05-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Wanda

putting the cuttings into the beachsand that was the soil in my last place
seemed to work well enough.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:22 PM
len brauer

yeh i just stand the cuttings up so they drain a bit after about 3
weeks stick them into a pot of potting mix or into a prepared site in
the ground, don't over water, water just enough until they show strong
signs of growth.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Litl Fish" wrote:

Anyway, any advice on getting some cuttings from this plant would be greatly
appreciated. It was going great guns until winter, when it started getting a
bit cold and tired. I've since protected it from the cold winds with a clear
plastic surround, which seems to have halted its decline.

In Sydney they drop their leaves in winter, and end up looking like a
sculpture made from leftover barbecue snags. The new leaves come through in
Spring though. I don't think they cope with frost well, so a sheltered sunny
position is your best bet.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old 06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Litl Fish" wrote in message
[...]

You will have trouble growing this well in Melbourne - it's too cold.
Full sun and a warm sheltered microclimate is going to be important for
the tree to succeed. I know people in the Southern Capital who have
given up on Frangipanni. If your spot is suitable it will sprout new
leaves in spring. If no leaves in spring them wave bye bye.

I start them in a pot, keep it damp but not wet and let the piece
callous over where it was cut before planting. No hormones are required.
The cutting doesn't need sun until it sprouts new leaves, then move it
into the sun. When the leaves have opened and it looks vigorous plant
it out being careful not to break off the new roots.

David

Frangipani Cuttings HC Australia 8 02-10-2004 01:00 AM
Frangipani Charlie Wong Australia 13 24-02-2004 05:58 PM
jpropagating frangipani Litl Fish Gardening 1 06-08-2003 07:32 PM
Wanted Frangipani Cuttings mark williams Australia 2 17-04-2003 11:32 PM
frangipani KH Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM