Old 06-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Litl Fish

Default jpropagating frangipani

Hi folks,
I read recently (but threw the paper out!) that frangipani can be cut at
this time of year (winter in southern Australia) and that all you have to do
is cut it and dry it for a couple of weeks before planting it. Somehow, I
feel I've forgotten some of the crucial parts, such as: should I stick the
cutting in hormone gel before planting? Should I put it in a particular type
of soil? Does it love sunshine/shade?

I DO remember reading that you make sure the white milky substance that
oozes from the cut must be kept away from the eyes (but hey, I usually don't
insert foreign liquids in my eyes anyway!) and children. That goes for
animals too, I guess.

Anyway, any advice on getting some cuttings from this plant would be greatly
appreciated. It was going great guns until winter, when it started getting a
bit cold and tired. I've since protected it from the cold winds with a clear
plastic surround, which seems to have halted its decline.

Regards,

--
Casey Herman

bizArRTe® digital imagery and twisted IRONy® metal sculpture
t/a twisted IRONy®
Melbourne, Australia
www.twistedirony.com

Old 06-08-2003, 07:32 PM
BH

Have no idea how my Zone 10 (South Florida) compares to Australia, but
must be similar if you're growing frangipani. I'm relatively new here,
but got my frangipani start from a master gardener who, fortunately for
me, lives right behind me. The longer the branch cutting, the better.
She tried to start some under 8" and they just rotted. I got several
from her, in exchange for cutting the branches that overhung her roof!
Didn't use any hormones, etc., just stuck them 6-8" into the ground (as
far as I could dig) and waited, didn't even wait for them to dry out.
Seems like it took a few months before they started sprouting leaves,
and now they're in full bloom. Good luck!

Litl Fish wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Frangipani Pruning? MC Australia 1 06-06-2004 09:02 AM
Frangipani Charlie Wong Australia 13 24-02-2004 05:58 PM
frangipani cuttings Litl Fish Australia 4 06-08-2003 08:42 PM
Wanted Frangipani Cuttings mark williams Australia 2 17-04-2003 11:32 PM
frangipani KH Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM