Old 18-01-2004, 05:33 AM
veritas

Default Can anyone ID the Tree?

Anyone know the name of a largish tree (similar to a Jacaranda) with
narrow leaves (fanned in bunches) and largish red flowers (in bloom now
[Brisbane])

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks - veritas

Old 18-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Raelene

Oh, I see you've already asked. ;-)

And I still don't know.

Raelene
xxx

Old 18-01-2004, 08:42 AM
len gardener

g'day veritas,

could it be poinciana?

len

--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Old 18-01-2004, 12:02 PM
gl

It's probably an Illawarra Flame Tree
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL25/mar02-8g.html
There's a lot of these around brisbane.

Old 18-01-2004, 12:02 PM
wattlgirl

veritas wrote in message ...
Anyone know the name of a largish tree (similar to a Jacaranda) with
narrow leaves (fanned in bunches) and largish red flowers (in bloom now
[Brisbane])

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks - veritas

Silk Trees have the same leaves as Jacarandas, and are in flower now.
Flowers are pink and quite delicate.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM
John Savage

"gl" writes:
It's probably an Illawarra Flame Tree
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL25/mar02-8g.html
There's a lot of these around brisbane.

I'm not online ATM so haven't looked at the pics. But one notable
feature of the Illawarra Flame tree is that the branches that are in
flower are devoid of leaves. So once the tree is fully mature, when it's
in full flower there is not a leaf on the tree. Before it matures, only
a few branches flower, and only those ones lose their leaves.

The flowers are bunches of dozens of red 'plastic' bells about the size
of a small grape.