Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Joe

Default Norfolk Island Pine Sap

I have a Norfolk Island pine that was originally a potted plant.
Three years ago I planted it outside and it has been doing well.
It is now 10 ft (3 meters) tall with a trunk of 1.25 inch (3 cm)
diameter.
We are located in the San Jose area of Northern California USA.
It is spring here and I have noticed that there is sap oozing from the
trunk at several locations about 2 meters from the ground.
Should I be alarmed??
Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Joe

Old 13-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Joe wrote:

I have a Norfolk Island pine that was originally a potted plant.
Three years ago I planted it outside and it has been doing well.
It is now 10 ft (3 meters) tall with a trunk of 1.25 inch (3 cm)
diameter.
We are located in the San Jose area of Northern California USA.
It is spring here and I have noticed that there is sap oozing from the
trunk at several locations about 2 meters from the ground.
Should I be alarmed??

Only at the fact that you have planted it out. I hope there are no overhead
wires near it, and that you have plenty of space.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 19-05-2004, 02:08 AM
John Savage

Chookie writes:
In article ,
Joe wrote:

I have a Norfolk Island pine that was originally a potted plant.
Three years ago I planted it outside and it has been doing well.
It is now 10 ft (3 meters) tall with a trunk of 1.25 inch (3 cm)
diameter.
We are located in the San Jose area of Northern California USA.
It is spring here and I have noticed that there is sap oozing from the
trunk at several locations about 2 meters from the ground.
Should I be alarmed??

Only at the fact that you have planted it out. I hope there are no overhead
wires near it, and that you have plenty of space.

Be alert but not alarmed.

California, eh? Eventually his Norfolk Palm will be useful as a fire lookout!

Old 24-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Aspley Nursery

Usually in Australia this is a sign of stress or disease. Stress is usually
fluctuation in water supply and can be too little or much with the latter
more likely. Use the net to check the rainfall and evaporation on Norfolk
Island and the months it falls. Use this as guide for your watering.

They are a huge tree although in Australia very well attached to the ground,
so maybe just a rotating beacon for aircraft.

Watch the house foundation though in reactive clay soils

Robert
QLD Australia

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Norfolk Island Pine United Kingdom 11 24-05-2006 06:02 PM
Norfolk Island Pine Tuletess Gardening 3 03-02-2004 12:03 AM
[IBC] Norfolk Island Pine help Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 07-10-2003 01:07 AM
Norfolk Island Pine help Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 06-10-2003 07:02 PM
norfolk island pine ernest jones United Kingdom 0 17-10-2002 08:52 PM