Old 22-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Miki

Default Mango

Hi I have bought the house last year and have two mango trees in the
backyard almost 5 meters high and the trunk cca 250 mm thick. Last season I
got only a few mangos which were up to 120 mm long with dark spots.Good to
eat with a ugly looking skinAt the momment it's flowering again.
A Neighbour told me that he doesnt remember when the trees were pruned and
how old is it.
My question:
-When should I prune the mango tree (Downunder-Gold Coast)
_How to do it (where can I see or read ...)
-Any suggestions from you experience guys?

Thanks
Miki

Old 22-05-2004, 08:04 AM
len gardener

g'day miki,

no expert here so you still may want to consult a book on pruning the
local library will no doubt have something to guide you.

but this is all i have ever done:

prune after the new growth in about march.

prune to bring the height down and open up the middle of the tree.

pruning the other branches is then only as a tidy up and to open them
up a little.

after you prune there will be a lot of new growth snap off those that
are growing inwards or that will increase the canopy too much.

hope this helps a bit

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

The NO in return addy is a spam trap.
Old 24-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Aspley Nursery

The pruning suggested is about right, but you will notice that the tree has
multiple stems to make the canopy. Have heard from a pro. that pruning about
a third of these each year an a three year cycle, can do a good job.

If you prune real hard the tree can fail to flower the next year but is
unlikely to die.

The bad skin is Anthracnose fungi. Spraying with Mancozeb is the cure, but
for a big tree is a hassle. Spray particularly when the tree is about to
flower. Hygiene the dead leaves under the tree to the tip regularly to stop
reinfection, keep the tree dry when the flowers are on.

Read What Garden Pest & Disease is That by Judy McMaugh or the DPI
literature
Robert
A semi professional QLD

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day miki,

no expert here so you still may want to consult a book on pruning the
local library will no doubt have something to guide you.

but this is all i have ever done:

prune after the new growth in about march.

prune to bring the height down and open up the middle of the tree.

pruning the other branches is then only as a tidy up and to open them
up a little.

after you prune there will be a lot of new growth snap off those that
are growing inwards or that will increase the canopy too much.

hope this helps a bit

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
The NO in return addy is a spam trap.

Old 29-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Match

"Aspley Nursery" wrote in message
[...]

Alternate between Copper and Mancozeb after flowering.

Cheers
Match
www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au

mango from seeds ??????? Kate ...... Edible Gardening 5 30-07-2004 01:59 AM
Growing mango tree ........ Kate ...... Gardening 0 15-08-2003 10:22 AM
Mango @ttilla the pun United Kingdom 6 09-05-2003 10:32 PM
[IBC] mango Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 01-04-2003 03:56 AM
mango RiNg MaStEr Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 06:20 AM