Old 06-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Syracuse

Default ARTICHOKES

Hi All
I planted a couple of globe artichokes about 18 months ago in 500- 600
diameter pots. They are looking healthy but no fruit. Any ideas?

Thanks

Graeme

Old 08-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Syracuse

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:13:39 +1000, "Syracuse"
NoenviroSpamkineticatiprimusdotcomdotau wrote:

I planted a couple of globe artichokes about 18 months ago in 500- 600
diameter pots. They are looking healthy but no fruit. Any ideas?

Posting from near the "Artichoke Center Of The World", Castroville,
California.

What are your growing conditions? Here they are grown in a cool
coastal climate rarely below 5degC rarely above 25, there is fog or
overcast almost every day , at least in the morning. The soil is a
fairly lean sandy loam, good drainage, and they are irrigated in the
summer months.

Almost anything that stresses them causes the flowers to bolt through
the edible stage and/or causes small, distorted flowers.

I assume you mean your pots are 500-600mm :-))
this should be big enough for one plant unless they are too shallow,
like a bulb pan. Larger is better, they are big plants 1-2m in the
ground.

Since yours look healthy you might be over feeding them. I don't
usually give mine a lot of nitrogen, but I don't usually have any
problems.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Sydney Australia & conditions are about as you
describe. Rarely fog though. Pots are min 500 mm diameter wide by 500mm
deep. Well drained but fairly nutrient heavy.I bought a whole heap of
mushroom compost + garden soil fairly cheaply. I think it retains moisture
fairly well.

I haven't seen a hint of flowers at all in 18 months.

Graeme

Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Syracuse

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:47:37 +1000, "Syracuse"
NoenviroSpamkineticatiprimusdotcomdotau wrote:

I haven't seen a hint of flowers at all in 18 months.

Keep them growing, you are coming into spring soon aren't you? they
will probably start blooming then. In the fields near here they cut
them back to the ground in the summer and they start harvesting the
new crop in late winter and spring
--
09 = ix

Well, thank you for that. I'll post a reply a soon as we're consuming the
results.

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM