Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 AM
TJF

Default Tomato problem

Hi,
In the past I have grown tomatoes and probably grown them too often in
the same place. The last couple of attempts have seen them grow well and
then suddenly start turning up their toes, dying from the bottom up. The
leaves go all yellow and start to wilt. I'm presuming it is tomato wilt and
is something in the soil. Any clues as to how to fix it so I can start
growing tomatoes again?
Thanks.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:46 PM
SG1

Plant some marigolds with them next time you use that bed. Treat the soil
now with diluted Golden Syrup and give a rest from the toms for at least a
year i.e. wait until Spring 2006 for your next crop in that bed.
Jim

Old 22-10-2004, 01:34 AM
John Savage

"SG1" wrote in message
Nematodes are a major problem for tomatoes and their family members. The
Golden syrup will really upset them to the point of death without harming
vegetation, about 1 tablespoon per litre per sqare metre should do the
trick. Marigolds extrude a chemical that nematodes cant handle and leave.
Jim

I have seen Peter Cundell (of ABC tv gardening show) recommend watering
the soil over with a mixture of molasses and water. I've kept a clipping
of the proportions he suggested, but can't put my fingers on it ATM.
With any luck, it will be on his website. Molasses might be a bit cheaper
for some gardeners, esp. those on the land.

Old 29-10-2004, 12:40 AM
John Savage

I wrote:
"SG1" wrote in message
Nematodes are a major problem for tomatoes and their family members. The
Golden syrup will really upset them to the point of death without harming
vegetation, about 1 tablespoon per litre per sqare metre should do the
trick. Marigolds extrude a chemical that nematodes cant handle and leave.
Jim

I have seen Peter Cundell (of ABC tv gardening show) recommend watering
the soil over with a mixture of molasses and water. I've kept a clipping

On some web site I read this about nematodes:

: 3. Molasses - Molasses appears to be toxic to some root-feeding
: nematodes. Reports suggests that this material is inconsistent
: with their digestive systems, to the extent that they can actually
: explode following ingestion of molasses.

They explode??

I can picture Len promoting this as a no-till method of agriculture!