Old 26-01-2005, 02:34 AM
eddiec

Default lawn from oats

hi'y all,

is there any reason why I should not make a lawn from oats? they seem to
grow 10x better than grass seed (even couch mix) that you buy from nurserys

cheers,

eddie :-)

Old 26-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Gregory Toomey

eddiec wrote:

hi'y all,

is there any reason why I should not make a lawn from oats? they seem to
grow 10x better than grass seed (even couch mix) that you buy from
nurserys

cheers,

eddie :-)

Try lucerne. Its a legume & adds nitrogen to the soil.
Its marketed as 'alfalfa sprouts' when young.

With either just invite the local horse for mowing!

gtoomey

Old 26-01-2005, 03:55 AM
Terry Collins

eddiec wrote:

hi'y all,

is there any reason why I should not make a lawn from oats? they seem to
grow 10x better than grass seed (even couch mix) that you buy from nurserys

0) No reason, but you might like to consider;
1) It is an annual.
2) It hasn't been selected for short/low growth like grass.
3) Each seed tends to grow one stalk rather than continue branching.
4) Resiliance
5) pile of other stuff.

There is a wide range of other stuff you can grow for lawn, like
chamomile, Kidney Weed, etc.
Old 26-01-2005, 06:15 AM
David Hare-Scott

"eddiec" wrote in message
: hi'y all,
:
: is there any reason why I should not make a lawn from oats? they seem to
: grow 10x better than grass seed (even couch mix) that you buy from
nurserys
:
: cheers,
:
: eddie :-)
:
:

You cannot mow it and expect it to keep growing like grass, it will not be
as hardy to foot traffic, it will die off in hot weather and it only lasts a
year.

David

Old 27-01-2005, 01:32 AM
eddiec

thanks everyone for the info!

I'm having a hard time getting a lawn going on the desert in my backyard
(Melbourne). If oats are out is there any other grass-like plant (rye,
barley?) that will form a tough lawn more easily than grass?

Cheers

Eddie :-)

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"eddiec" wrote in message
: hi'y all,
:

Old 27-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Terry Collins

eddiec wrote:

thanks everyone for the info!

I'm having a hard time getting a lawn going on the desert in my backyard
(Melbourne). If oats are out is there any other grass-like plant (rye,
barley?) that will form a tough lawn more easily than grass?

Do you mean that kikuyu wont grow there?

Just mulch it and leave it.
Seriously I have areas of 3m squared and about 7m squared where the
grass had been totally removed and all I did was to dump leaf
dropping/mulch there from elsewhere.

The grass will eventually grow back into it as the nutrients become
available.
Old 27-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Elguapo

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
eddiec wrote:

thanks everyone for the info!

I'm having a hard time getting a lawn going on the desert in my backyard
(Melbourne). If oats are out is there any other grass-like plant (rye,
barley?) that will form a tough lawn more easily than grass?

Do you mean that kikuyu wont grow there?

Just mulch it and leave it.
Seriously I have areas of 3m squared and about 7m squared where the
grass had been totally removed and all I did was to dump leaf
dropping/mulch there from elsewhere.

The grass will eventually grow back into it as the nutrients become
available.

I can guarantee you that Kikuyu will grow in Melbourne. I have extremerely
sandy soil down by the bay and I have kikuyu come between a crack in some
concrete that is at least 4 metres from any other grassy patch. the only
good thing about the kikuyu is as you said, it recovers very quickly. mine
practically dies off over summer but bounces back with a vengence over
winter/spring.

Victory Oats Dave Kristie Plant Biology 0 24-07-2006 06:28 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Forage Oats Gallagher Gardening 2 02-03-2004 07:09 AM
Forage Oats Gallagher Gardening 0 29-02-2004 09:41 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM