Old 09-05-2004, 07:05 AM
G & K Meyer

Default barley straw vs oats straw?

Can anyone help me with some pond questions, I am fighting algae in my
1000gal pond I have tried putting algaefix and pond balance chemicals in and
also running a uv light but still fighting getting algae. We have about 8
good sized fish and keep about 7-10 plants in pond it does get a lot of sun
here in Colorado.
I was now told to try barley straw, which I will try but would like to know
if oats straw would work as well as I have a source to get it much cheaper.
Thank you.
--
Greg &/or Kellie Meyer

Old 09-05-2004, 11:02 AM
John Youles

In message on Sat, 8 May 2004 23:16:27 -0600 in
rec.ponds, "G & K Meyer" tapped out on the keyboard:

Can anyone help me with some pond questions, I am fighting algae in my
1000gal pond I have tried putting algaefix and pond balance chemicals in and
also running a uv light but still fighting getting algae. We have about 8
good sized fish and keep about 7-10 plants in pond it does get a lot of sun
here in Colorado.
I was now told to try barley straw, which I will try but would like to know
if oats straw would work as well as I have a source to get it much cheaper.
Thank you.

I would imagine that if cheaper types of straw had worked, we would have heard
about it.

Certainly barley straw works.

--
John Youles Norwich England UK
j dot y.o.u.l.e.s at n.t.l.w.o.r.l.d dot c.o.m

Old 09-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Mouse

"John Youles" mines.a.pint@localhost wrote in message
[...]

It is believed that Barley Straw releases a chemical as it decomposes dont
think other straw will have the same effect.
Have a look here.
http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/wildlife/nf429.htm

Mouse Yorkshire UK

Old 09-05-2004, 02:04 PM
pixi

Don't think you can get much cheaper than $3.00 a bale for barley straw. I
bought mine from a farm storm and that's what I paid for it. The prices the
dealers in pond equipment are charging are outrageous.

Old 09-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Ka30P

Hello Greg and/or Kellie ;-)

What kind of algae are you getting?
Makes a huge difference when working with a pond.
Algae that grows on surfaces is called substrate algae. This kind of algae
should be encouraged and not cleaned off or zapped with chemicals. It helps
convert fish waste, gives the fish their veggies to eat and harbors all sorts
of delicious little critters for the fish to eat.

Algae that looks like long green hair is string algae. A little bit of this
goes a long way. Usually we recommend removing it with a bristle brush.
Too much string algae can cause havoc with some plants so best to just remove
it, think of it as a mindless zen activity in your day.

Free floating algae, the pea soup colored water, is the algae least desired in
an ornamental garden pond. That kind of stuff we like to get rid of. I'll post
the algae fighting tips below to help you with this.

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for all forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

Can anyone help me with some pond questions, I am fighting algae in my
1000gal pond I have tried putting algaefix and pond balance chemicals in and
also running a uv light but still fighting getting algae. We have about 8
good sized fish and keep about 7-10 plants in pond it does get a lot of sun
here in Colorado.
I was now told to try barley straw, which I will try but would like to know
if oats straw would work as well as I have a source to get it much cheaper.

kathy :-)

Old 13-05-2004, 06:04 PM

All this is very good advise. If the water is "pea green" try the water
changes and definetly more floating plants to shade water. Good luck if you
have KOI...as most everyone knows they devour plants....LOL Some people
make a floating frame out of connected PVC with netting attached(kind of
like a floating net) to put water plants in. THUS keeping the KOI out and
allowing you to still have plants. I have never used chemicals for algae or
anything in fact. Sometimes they have a rebound effect.......MIKE

Barley straw question elaine Ponds 61 13-01-2011 02:17 PM
Barley Straw - ponds Fran United Kingdom 9 19-05-2004 09:05 AM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley Straw tasha Ponds 5 26-11-2003 12:02 AM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM