Old 29-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Ulrich Sudhaus

Default Which fast growing plants for GREY/BLACK WATER soakage area?

We just moved into a new house with a combined grey/black water
disposal on a 200 sqm patch, having a clay base, 100mm topsoil and
about 100mm cane mulch. We live about 100 km west of Brisbane.

We would really like some recommendations for suitable trees and
shrubs.

Thanks
Ulrich Sudhaus
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Ulrich Sudhaus" wrote in message
:
: We just moved into a new house with a combined grey/black water
: disposal on a 200 sqm patch, having a clay base, 100mm topsoil and
: about 100mm cane mulch. We live about 100 km west of Brisbane.
:
: We would really like some recommendations for suitable trees and
: shrubs.
:
: Thanks
: Ulrich Sudhaus

Two places to look are the local council and the forestry department. The
council's sewerage department should have a ready made list suitable for the
area, they may even have it on a web site. A third choice is to get a book
from the library like "Plant what where", this will list trees and shrubs
according to growing conditions and what they are suitable for.

What do you mean by "black water"? Unprocessed sewerage should not be piped
about and put into the garden anywhere, it just isn't safe.

I would also doubt that 200 sqm on clay would be anything like enough to
absorb the output of even a small family.

Perhaps you should get the council to come and have a look and advise you on
the right way to do this. If you (or the previous owner) do (did) something
really bad (eg pollute a waterway or make neighbours sick) you could be
fined quite heavily.

David

Old 04-02-2005, 03:47 AM
HC

G'day Ulrich

When you say 'Black Water Soak' do you mean the clear water runoff from
the septic tank?

At my last house I used this to advantage after directing the water
through several sand filters and in a zig-zag pattern across the hill.
It then watered a vegie garden that kept a family of four fed, with
heaps left over, so I used to swap the excess with the local greengrocer
for fruit that we didn't grow.

Of course I had the water tested and it was perfectly OK for use on
vegies for human consumption. Hope this helps?

HC ;-)