Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Nancy

Default slaters

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters.
as quick as i plant out seedlings the slaters eat them.
i have tried the slater powder but it doesn't have any effect.
cheers
Nancy

Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Paul Homes

In article , "Nancy"
wrote:

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters.
as quick as i plant out seedlings the slaters eat them.
i have tried the slater powder but it doesn't have any effect.
cheers
Nancy

Hi Nancy,

The blue "Baysol" snail baits will kill slaters.

Paul
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 AM
sassie

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:22:56 +0800, Paul Homes wrote:

In article , "Nancy"
wrote:

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters.

I was always under the impression that slaters only eat dead organic
material ?? Are your sure that its slaters?

Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Stephen Oakes

"Nancy" wrote...
does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters.

I agree that it's probably something else eating your buds. Slaters mainly
seem to eat dead stuff.

--
Stephen Oakes

Old 09-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Ken Oaf

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:20:32 +0800, "Nancy" wrote:

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters.
as quick as i plant out seedlings the slaters eat them.
i have tried the slater powder but it doesn't have any effect.
cheers

As others have said, it isn't slaters.

Most likely snails are doing the damage. Could also be grasshoppers.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Nancy

I have been out in the garden at first light and it is
Slaters eating my plant seedlings.
At first I thought it must be snails or something so
I went out early to check.
I had always assumed that they only ate the dead matter also.
cheers
Nancy

Old 13-02-2005, 12:07 PM
marko zuvela

You're right Nancy & I 've found them in the soil of pots so I think they're
also eating roots as well.
If you have a plague of them you could also bury containers into the ground
where they can fall in & not get out like a cockroach trap.

Old 14-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Nancy

thanks for that tip marko
i will try it, also will put some snail pellets around
and see if they eat them.
cheers
Nancy

Old 15-02-2005, 07:07 AM
sassie

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:20:32 +0800, Nancy wrote:

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters. as quick as i plant
out seedlings the slaters eat them. i have tried the slater powder but
it doesn't have any effect. cheers
Nancy

I refer you here

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

"Feeding
Slaters are omnivores or scavengers and feed upon decaying vegetable
matter and associated fungi and also on animal matter. They form an
important link in the food chain by recycling dead and decaying matter."

I rest my case!
Old 15-02-2005, 09:00 AM

sassie wrote:

"Feeding
Slaters are omnivores or scavengers and feed upon decaying vegetable
matter and associated fungi

and also on animal matter

They form an
important link in the food chain by recycling dead and decaying matter."

I'm wondering whether the slaters seen on the plants were feeding on the
"slime" left by the snails/slugs which had earlier eaten the plants...

Just a thought.

Old 15-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Paul Homes

In article ,
sassie wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:20:32 +0800, Nancy wrote:

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of slaters. as quick as i plant
out seedlings the slaters eat them. i have tried the slater powder but
it doesn't have any effect. cheers
Nancy

I refer you here

http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/allies/isopoda.html

"Feeding
Slaters are omnivores or scavengers and feed upon decaying vegetable
matter and associated fungi and also on animal matter. They form an
important link in the food chain by recycling dead and decaying matter."

I rest my case!

Slaters will and do eat living plant matter. They also eat Baysol snail
pellets (the blue ones).

Paul
Old 15-02-2005, 10:27 AM
sassie

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:00:59 +1100, M wrote:

sassie wrote:

"Feeding
Slaters are omnivores or scavengers and feed upon decaying vegetable
matter and associated fungi

and also on animal matter

They form an
important link in the food chain by recycling dead and decaying
matter."

I'm wondering whether the slaters seen on the plants were feeding on the
"slime" left by the snails/slugs which had earlier eaten the plants...

Just a thought.

You are probabley on to something there.
Why would you kill something that is doing your soil so much good ?
If you want to kill them why not encourage there predators.
Try protecting your seedlings with barriers of some kind.

HTH

Swarming Slaters eating plants - HELP John Savage Gardening 11 16-06-2006 04:43 AM
Swarming Slaters eating plants - HELP Chookie Australia 1 11-06-2006 02:45 PM
Slaters - Any Danger? Down Under On The Bucket Farm Edible Gardening 3 06-09-2003 11:12 PM
Slaters in worm farm Mousie Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Slaters in worm farm Mousie Australia 1 16-02-2003 11:04 AM