Old 20-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Trish Brown

Default Sparrows? Scaly-breasted Lorikeets?

I was discussing sparrows with an email friend today and we were
wondering where/why they've gone! Does anyone know? I mean, I know about
Bloody Introduced Species and all, but I haven't seen a sparrow in ages
(Newcastle, NSW). I've always put their demise down to the appearance of
the bloody Indian Mynah, but my friend lives in Brisbane, where they've
only just arrived (or so he says).

Also, he's wondering why you hardly ever see a Scaly Breasted Lorikeet
in Brisbane any more. I'm still seeing them occasionally here in N'cle,
so I wonder if anyone else can throw some light on these ponderous
questions?

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old 20-02-2005, 06:46 PM
len gardener

g'day trish,

yeh bloody introduced feral hey but! they do good in the garden
getting rid of bugs if you can keep them from nesting in the roof of
your house. very likely the much more hated indian mynah has displaced
them i think i would rather have sparrows though, when i attracted the
butcher birds, kookaburras, magpies and lorrikeats & crested pigeons
into my ack yard in drove the sparrows dissapeared but they
dissapeared from all yards nearby as well. the sparrows had to nest in
trees as the house had been sprrow proofed so easy meat fro the
butcher at least.

the scaly breasted we used to get them in brighton in brisbane but
then there is still pockets of bush about supplying them flowers. so
the answer is in most parts of over developed brisbane there simply
isn't the habitat to support or encourage the scaly breasted who are
dominated by the rainbows in tight food situations.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.