Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Rod Out back

Default Anyone had experience with Saltgrow Eucalyptus Hybrids??

Folks,

Has anyone had any experience with these salt-tolerant hybrids of
Eucalypts(http://www.saltgrow.com.au/)?

We are interested in planting them on artesian bore water, and they look
like they might be ideal to re-establish trees in a few paddocks that are
tree-challenged. Funnily enough, the paddocks were originally bare(Open
Micthell Grass Downs Country), but we have enjoyed some tree cover from
declared woody weeds (Parkinsonia). When we nobbled all the woody weeds a
few years ago, we are suddenly faced with very treeless paddocks! There are
Coolibahs growing along the gully\creek running across one corner, but they
only grow down in the creek naturally. These hybrid eucalypts might be an
option to plant a few groves at other points in the paddocks.

The hybrids look to be crosses of River Red Gums, Flooded Gum, and Tasmanian
Blue Gum. The 4 year old trees look very nice; useable hardwood timber if
you want to use them, but big, straight trees that seem to grow quickly.

I'm not really interested in using them to lower rising water\salt
tables(havent got that problem), but more that the most available water
(Artesian Bore water)has high soda\salt content, and most trees wont grow on
it. Our local soil is also high clay content black soil, which the website
suggests is ideal for the growing of these trees.

Any thoughts\info welcomed.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back