Old 15-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Anyone had trouble with Marshalls?

I have bought stuff from marshalls a few times and it's generally been
ok.

However, in the past few months, I've had:
- Garlic that was rotten (last Sept)
- Plants that were 2-3 weeks late arriving
- Plants that were appallingly packed

The plants that Marshalls sent were crammed into a polythene bag, in a
box with polystyrene chips for padding. When they arrived, they were
all tangled together and so bashed about that their roots hardly had
any soil clinging to them.

To make matters worse, they had sent them on a Friday but they didn't
arrive until Monday. They were in a bit of a sorry state by then.

By comparison, stuff sent byThompson & Morgan or Simpson's Seeds has
been sent with each plant in individual plastic pockets within a
container that potected them and stopped them shaking around.

I think marshalls may be going through "difficult" times because any
attempt to ring them over the past 2 months has just got an engaged
tone or long queues.

Replace the obvious with Bigfoot
Old 15-05-2003, 06:20 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Oh my how disappointing. I have always had good service so I hope they are
not going AWOL

:
[...]

Robert

Old 15-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Therefore

I have used Marshalls for many years with great results from their products.

However I have had trouble with the packaging on their fruit trees, apples,
pears. plums, they have replaced without argument.

The latest delivery was their special offer on fruit trees which appear to
be a little a under the weather. But to be fair it is late in the season to
be planting bare rooted trees. I am sure however that should they fail
Marshalls will replace next year. Lepslie

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...

Old 15-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Colin Malsingh
writes

I think marshalls may be going through "difficult" times because any
attempt to ring them over the past 2 months has just got an engaged
tone or long queues.

We have only ever had excellent service from Marshall's in terms of
plant or seed quality, delivery, backup etc., but I have felt for some
time that they may have been over-reaching themselves in an attempt to
expand and modernise their business.

I have had problems with other long established seed and nursery
companies who have also found difficulty in meeting the demands of
today's high pressure business world. They are as good as they ever were
with horticulture, but having to cope with today's finance, regulations,
websites, staffing problems, advertising and marketing is proving too
much for them. The moral is that progress is not always forwards.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 15 May 2003 19:21:47 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , Colin Malsingh
writes

I think marshalls may be going through "difficult" times because any
attempt to ring them over the past 2 months has just got an engaged
tone or long queues.

We have only ever had excellent service from Marshall's in terms of
plant or seed quality, delivery, backup etc., but I have felt for some
time that they may have been over-reaching themselves in an attempt to
expand and modernise their business.

I have had problems with other long established seed and nursery
companies who have also found difficulty in meeting the demands of
today's high pressure business world. They are as good as they ever were
with horticulture, but having to cope with today's finance, regulations,
websites, staffing problems, advertising and marketing is proving too
much for them. The moral is that progress is not always forwards.

Perhaps someone should print these comments out and forward them to
Marshalls?
I've only even had spuds and seeds from them, so have had no problems
- but I'd hate lose faith in them.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 16-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

"Alan Gould" wrote in
We have only ever had excellent service from Marshall's in terms of
plant or seed quality, delivery, backup etc., but I have felt for some
time that they may have been over-reaching themselves in an attempt to
expand and modernise their business.

Yes they are a bit more difficult to get through to these days but seeds. seed potatoes etc have always been good. I do
have reservations about their fruit though, especially bare rooted stuff like raspberries - I think they need to look at
their facilities and procedures for handling these. I've had a few things I should've complained about but didn't for
various reasons.

Rod

Old 16-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

Perhaps someone should print these comments out and forward them to
Marshalls?
I've only even had spuds and seeds from them, so have had no problems
- but I'd hate lose faith in them.

Nor me, I have every faith in Marshalls.

I would suggest that if anyone wishes to send comments to the company,
they should use their own words. Mine would be out of context without
the rest of the discussion preceding them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Thu, 15 May 2003 16:49:29 +0100, Colin Malsingh
wrote:

I have bought stuff from marshalls a few times and it's generally been
ok.

However, in the past few months, I've had:
- Garlic that was rotten (last Sept)
- Plants that were 2-3 weeks late arriving
- Plants that were appallingly packed

The plants that Marshalls sent were crammed into a polythene bag, in a
box with polystyrene chips for padding.

This is obviously Marshall's approach, because I've just received the
second lot like this (items that were schyeduled for "late April").

Anyone else had problems with plants (as opposed to seed)?
In general I find Marshalls fine with seeds- it's just their method of
despatching plants that isn't much good.

Replace the obvious with Bigfoot

Marshalls Alan Gould United Kingdom 8 09-02-2006 04:10 PM
Free - Marshalls Redcap F1 cabbage seeds Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 08-10-2004 10:09 PM
Unwins and Marshalls Leslie United Kingdom 4 20-08-2004 07:11 PM
Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
Marshalls' experimental tomatoes jane United Kingdom 14 15-06-2003 08:56 PM