Old 23-04-2005, 10:51 AM
David

Default A possum eating my chillis ?

Hi All,

In my backyard I have two passionfruit vines growing on the back fence
and have noticed for a while now a clump of partially eaten passionfruit
at the base of one of them (Panama variety). I assumed there was
something getting in the yard and eating them. BUT today when I had
another look there where quite a few half eaten chillis (cayenne type)
in the same pile which had not been there previously.

I assumed a possum to start with but understand that possums don't
generally like chillis and that chilli based liquids are used to spray
on plants to stop the possums eating them.

I haven't seen the tell tale signs of possum droppings or any droppings
for that manner. Oh and the chilli plants they are pinching them from
are about 6 metres away from the pile that is being formed.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

I haven't seen any possums here in the past. I 've been living here 2 years.

Thanks in advance
David
Wollongong, NSW
Old 23-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Dave

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:51:17 +1000, David wrote:

[...]

Put some sand around the plants and look for paw prints the next morning.

Old 25-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Terry Collins

David wrote:

I haven't seen the tell tale signs of possum droppings or any droppings
for that manner. Oh and the chilli plants they are pinching them from
are about 6 metres away from the pile that is being formed.

Any chance of it being Bulbulls?
They like red things to eat, like cherry tomatoes.
Old 28-04-2005, 08:37 PM
John Savage

David writes:
In my backyard I have two passionfruit vines growing on the back fence
and have noticed for a while now a clump of partially eaten passionfruit
at the base of one of them (Panama variety). I assumed there was

Maybe rats? I know they will chew on chokos, and they climb.
As for whether they can develop a penchant for chilli--a pet rat owner
might be able to answer that.

I Need a Squirrel and Possum Repellant? Zemedelec Gardening 2 04-07-2004 01:02 AM
The Christmas Possum? Frogleg Gardening 10 30-12-2003 06:32 AM
POSSUM deterrent ideas requested JWSM Australia 13 18-08-2003 03:31 AM
possum help needed Emma Australia 8 12-05-2003 01:35 PM
Baby possum in strawberries Polar Edible Gardening 8 27-04-2003 06:20 PM