Old 04-05-2005, 12:27 PM
james dawson

Default Lemon Tree in a Pot...what size???

Hi,

A friend is wanting to contain a lemon in a pot.

Space is limited, so he is looking for the following:

1. min. size pot
2. variety of lemon

Thanks in advance

Jamesd

Old 06-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Jim Marrs

One of the very best in a pot is the Meyers leamon. My tree is 5 years old,
about 3.5 feet tall and produces several dozen leamons a year.

JEM

Old 06-05-2005, 08:28 AM
David Hare-Scott

"james dawson" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend is wanting to contain a lemon in a pot.

Space is limited, so he is looking for the following:

1. min. size pot

I would go for a tub at least 60cm in diameter if you want good fruit. If
the tub is smaller the tree will survive OK but it will be a bit too bonsai
and not fruit as prolifically. The larger tub also provides a better
resevoir of moisture and so forgetting to water is less damaging. It can
always be pruned to a more compact habit if space is very scarce.

2. variety of lemon

Many citrus do well in pots so you could probably choose any lemon, as
others have said Myer lemon is a good one, it also suits pot growing as it
is somewhat more tolerant of drying out.

Whatever kind you get use a good potting mix with plenty of organic matter
and don't let it dry out too much, which is always a risk with potted
plants. Citrus are heavy feeders so you will need to feed two or three
times a year in a tub and top up the organic mulch on top annually to
condition the soil and reduce water loss.

David

Old 07-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Jim Marrs

I agree with David. You might as well start out with a large pot. I would
suggest plastic since the weight becomes a factor when one has to move the
plant. A Meyers lemon will not grow over 4-5 feet for several years in a
pot , if ever. As I mentioned, my tree is not very tall but produces a nice
crop or two each year.

Have Fun
Jim