Old 16-05-2005, 08:47 AM
SANDY P

Default Dwarf lemons

Are there any other varieties than the Meyer. Apparently it is not that
tasty.

Old 16-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Stephen Oakes

"SANDY P" wrote...
Are there any other varieties than the Meyer. Apparently it is not that
tasty.

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. I find the Meyer lemon to be
useless as a lemon - it is more like a bland yellow orange.

I think the only real alternative is to have a real lemon tree.
--
Stephen Oakes

Old 17-05-2005, 03:25 AM
HC

I agree Stephen......Meyers have a low acid content and are useless if
you want them to thicken cheesecake fillings etc. While the filling
will taste about the same it won't thicken. I found this out the hard
way, by buying a Meyer lemon many years ago with the main purpose for
cheesecake fillings, lemon cheese and other delightful things.

Will be interesting to see if a dwarf variety of other lemons has been
produced, if they have already gone down the road with a Meyer.

Bronwyn ;-)

"SANDY P" wrote...

Old 22-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"SANDY P" wrote:

Are there any other varieties than the Meyer. Apparently it is not that
tasty.

Think Diggers might have a few varieties. You could also try the Fruit Salad
Tree people. Had a chat to them a while back, and they use the most
appropriate cultivars for your area when you buy, so they probably have a few
varieties around.

An ordinary lemon tree takes a while to get really big -- is that an option?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.