Old 23-05-2005, 12:59 PM
tracey

Default alkaline soil

hi all.. i have a house on a limestone bed.. practically.. and my lemon,
grapefruit and orange tree all have yellowing leaves.
i have read somewhere, that sulphure added to the soil.. makes the ph
lower.. i read the directions on the packet.. and added the amt.. just
wondered if anyone knew.. how long before they saw a change.

i live in perth.. thanks anyone.. if anyone knows.

tracey

Old 24-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Chookie

In article , "tracey"
wrote:

hi all.. i have a house on a limestone bed.. practically.. and my lemon,
grapefruit and orange tree all have yellowing leaves.

No idea about the sulphur, but give them plenty of organic matter to buffer
them from the alkaline soil as well.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 24-05-2005, 08:27 AM
David Hare-Scott

"tracey" wrote in message
hi all.. i have a house on a limestone bed.. practically.. and my lemon,
grapefruit and orange tree all have yellowing leaves.
i have read somewhere, that sulphure added to the soil.. makes the ph
lower.. i read the directions on the packet.. and added the amt.. just
wondered if anyone knew.. how long before they saw a change.

i live in perth.. thanks anyone.. if anyone knows.

tracey

You may be right and it is the pH being too high or it could just be lack of
nitrogen and/or trace elements. Buy a pH test kit (they are only a few
dollars and will do you good service for years) the sort with the indicator
white contrast powder and a colour card are best. If you treat with sulphur
and pH is not the problem you may be doing harm.

If the pH is high you can bring it down with unlimed compost and other
rotted organic matter as well as sulphur. Sulphur will take some time to
work. If the pH is OK (about 6 for citrus as I recall) then feed them next
spring.

David

Old 24-05-2005, 11:31 AM
tracey

"tracey" wrote in message
hi all.. i have a house on a limestone bed.. practically.. and my lemon,
grapefruit and orange tree all have yellowing leaves.
i have read somewhere, that sulphure added to the soil.. makes the ph
lower.. i read the directions on the packet.. and added the amt.. just
wondered if anyone knew.. how long before they saw a change.

i live in perth.. thanks anyone.. if anyone knows.

tracey

thanks for the replies