Old 23-07-2005, 11:37 PM
John Savage

Default ID of ?edible pea

Richard Wright writes:
Can anybody give me an ID on this pea?

http://box.net/public/richwrig/dfiles/ClimbingPea.jpg

Interesting. My browser (Arachne) said the file was not any format it
recognized, so I downloaded the file to take a closer look. I tried a
DOS viewer ("Picture Viewer") on it and nothing was displayed apart from a
message that the file was a damaged jpeg file. So I tried another viewer
(dvpeg) and this time the photo was displayed with no problems. So it seems
that there is something non-standard about your photo conversion.

It grows in late winter/early spring (Sydney, Australia) as a climber
up to 3 m (10 feet).

The pods, which are reasonably sweet and tasty, have a peculiar
appearance of being closed by a purplish zipper.

The location is on the edge of a communal vegetable garden but none of
the community is ever there when I pass by.

Pin a note with your question to the plant, along with your phone number
and a 20c coin.

I've added in aus.gardens to canvass local knowledge. Hope that's okay.

Old 24-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Richard Wright

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:37:53 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Richard Wright writes:
[...]

Thanks John. I got the info from the group that this is Dolichos
lablab (Lablab bean).

http://www.floridata.com/ref/D/doli_lab.cfm

Your experience with the image got me a bit worried. Before posting I
had reduced it in size by IrfanView. Now I have downloaded to see if I
have problems. Can open it in IrfanView, in Microsoft Photo Editor and
can import into CorelDraw 9. Have never previously had complaints
about JPEGs saved with IrfanView.

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
ID of ?edible pea Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 07-08-2005 05:33 PM
ID of ?edible pea Richard Wright Edible Gardening 2 24-07-2005 09:18 PM
edible pea Johannes Welsch Plant Science 1 19-07-2005 01:29 AM
ID on ?edible pea Richard Wright Plant Science 1 12-07-2005 12:48 PM