Old 16-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Dave

Default Looking for Bamboo in St. Lucie, Fl

I live in Port St. Lucie, Fl and I am looking for some clumping bamboo for a
hedge. I will drive up to 75 miles to get it, I will even dig it myself and
pay you for it. I would like to have Hedge bamboo or Alphonse Karr bamboo
but it is not necessary.

Thanks

David

Old 17-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Chris Owens

Dave wrote:

I live in Port St. Lucie, Fl and I am looking for some clumping bamboo for a
hedge. I will drive up to 75 miles to get it, I will even dig it myself and
pay you for it. I would like to have Hedge bamboo or Alphonse Karr bamboo
but it is not necessary.

Thanks

David

David, please make sure that you've arranged to contain the
bamboo . . . even clumping bamboo will set runners and spread.
If not, you will be less than happy in a few years.

Chris Owens

Old 18-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Chris

"Dave" wrote in message ...
I live in Port St. Lucie, Fl and I am looking for some clumping bamboo for a
hedge. I will drive up to 75 miles to get it, I will even dig it myself and
pay you for it. I would like to have Hedge bamboo or Alphonse Karr bamboo
but it is not necessary.

A barrier system is not necessary with clumping bamboo's. Rhizomes DO
NOT run sideways with clumping bamboos and only spread a few inches
per year. From what I understand runners do not do well in Florida.

Check out the Florida/Carribean chapter of the American Bamboo
Society. http://www.tropicalbamboo.org/

Chris
Old 20-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Chris Owens

Chris wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...
I live in Port St. Lucie, Fl and I am looking for some clumping bamboo for a
hedge. I will drive up to 75 miles to get it, I will even dig it myself and
pay you for it. I would like to have Hedge bamboo or Alphonse Karr bamboo
but it is not necessary.

A barrier system is not necessary with clumping bamboo's. Rhizomes DO
NOT run sideways with clumping bamboos and only spread a few inches
per year. From what I understand runners do not do well in Florida.

Chris, a few inches a year translates into a couple of feet a
decade. Most of them have been eradicated now, but all up and
down the East Coast, including in FL, there were estates where
someone had planted th fashionable bamboo -- including clumping
varieties -- in 1920s; and, then after the Crash, they were
abandoned or let go wild. There were places where they literally
had to take the bamboo out with a backhoe and burnoff. So, I'd
have my control system planned BEFORE I planted the bamboo.

Chris Owens

Old 21-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Chris

Chris Owens wrote in message

Chris, a few inches a year translates into a couple of feet a
decade. Most of them have been eradicated now, but all up and
down the East Coast, including in FL, there were estates where
someone had planted th fashionable bamboo -- including clumping
varieties -- in 1920s; and, then after the Crash, they were
abandoned or let go wild. There were places where they literally
had to take the bamboo out with a backhoe and burnoff. So, I'd
have my control system planned BEFORE I planted the bamboo.

The only problem is that a clumping bamboo will not be contained. It
can exert enormous pressure on whatever it is butting up against. A
running bamboo will turn away from the barrier.

This is a photo of a clumping bamboo in a concrete planter.

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/ima...eBrokenPot.htm

Of course, if I left my ginger plants, my bougainvillea, my lawn, my
box hedge, my roses and even my camphor tree abandoned to the decades
it will run rampant as well.

We are discussing reasonable people doing reasonable things with
plants, not what if the world ends tomorrow. For a reasonable person
to plant a clumping bamboo without a barrier is not an unreasonable
thing or even the end of the world.

Chris

Old 21-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Mogie

WE had bamboo that needed monthly cutting back. Not a little but it was a
major job. This is very invasive. Avoid if possible. Nearly impossible to
control.

om...

Old 21-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Bob Johannessen

Mogie wrote:
WE had bamboo that needed monthly cutting back. Not a little but it was a
major job. This is very invasive. Avoid if possible. Nearly impossible to
control.

Mogie,

Having grown many species of bamboo for over 15 years I can say that
there are _no_ bamboos that need monthly cutting back in order to
control them. Chances are you had Arundo donax, which a lot of people
mistake for bamboo. It is a true grass, not a bamboo.

Regards,

Bob

Old 21-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Mogie

Bob is probably right I was just a kid but remember the monthly
trimming....yuck!
Bob Johannessen wrote in message
newsj9bb.533098$o%2.233749@sccrnsc02...