Old 24-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Ashby, Leics
Default Help needed with Arundinaria Murielae

Hi

Im a newbie to both this forum and bamboo, so apologies for what may be a basic/simple question.

After a recent visit to a local nursery I was quite struck by Arundinaria Murielae and bought it. I have a small garden in the heart of the Midlands of England, and I was advised that the plant could be cut into 4 and replanted as a 'hedge'.

The plant is looking a bit potbound and I wondered what the best way of dividing and re-planting would be ? What feeding should I perform after dividing and planting ?

Thanks in advance, Paul
Old 25-10-2003, 08:32 AM
hermine stover

After a recent visit to a local nursery I was quite struck by
Arundinaria Murielae and bought it. I have a small garden in the heart
of the Midlands of England, and I was advised that the plant could be
cut into 4 and replanted as a 'hedge'.

The plant is looking a bit potbound and I wondered what the best way of
dividing and re-planting would be ? What feeding should I perform
after dividing and planting ?

Thanks in advance, Paul

this plant looks wonderful even when sheared like boxwood hedges. To a
biginner I would suggest buying whole containers and NOT dividing
them, just spacing them and allowing them to fill in. there is always
some rate of loss when doing the surgery at the roots, which must be
balanced by surgery at the top. A potbound Bamboo is a good thing, it
really should explode once it is placed in the ground.

If you had five gallon sized containers and simply sawed them in half,
as with a serrated edge steak knife, and did not go teasing the roots
apart...keeping them together carefully, you could get away with that
kind of division. it is when folks tease the roots apart that they
start to do real murderous harm.

I always try to err on the conservative side, even as a commercial
propagator.

hermine
Old 25-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Chris

hermine stover wrote in message . ..

If you had five gallon sized containers and simply sawed them in half,
as with a serrated edge steak knife, and did not go teasing the roots
apart...keeping them together carefully, you could get away with that
kind of division. it is when folks tease the roots apart that they
start to do real murderous harm.

Not to mention near impossible. The pot bound Bory that we got a
while back had almost zero dirt in the pot and hopelessly tangled.
The only option we had was to hack and slash. I fear I may be having
my first sleep/creep/leap situation :-/

Chris
Old 26-10-2003, 02:22 AM
hermine stover

If you had containers and simply sawed them in half,
as with a serrated edge steak knife, and did not go teasing the roots
apart...keeping them together carefully, you could get away with that
kind of division. it is when folks tease the roots apart that they
start to do real murderous harm.

Not to mention near impossible. The pot bound Bory that we got a
while back had almost zero dirt in the pot and hopelessly tangled.
The only option we had was to hack and slash. I fear I may be having
my first sleep/creep/leap situation :-/

Chris

That was the Bory you got from us? because we have many pots which are
BULGING with compressed roots. it is better to slice them up like a
tray of brownies; teasing roots apart damages them all, but if you
cut, you damage ONLY roots which are being cut.
Sleep/creep/leap is what bamboo does best, you must be doing something
very right.
hermine