Old 25-04-2004, 11:17 PM
SamMan

Default Barriers & Bamboo

Just wondering... what will bamboo do when planted in an area surrounded by
a rhizome barrier, and the planting area becomes filled with bamboo? Will
the plant suffer?

Thanks.

--
SamMan
Rip it to reply

Old 26-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Bert

Unless you not do proper mainteance on the grove it will suffer. Depending
on the size of your contaiment start in the 3rd year and remove all 1st and
2nd year growth. Then each year there after remove 1/3 of the shoots (once
they get over 1 1/2 inches in diameter harvest for eating) and all 3 year
old culms. Phyllostachys rhyzomes have an average life of 15 years and then
die so if your area is largest enough and with proper care the bamboo will
take care of itself.

Depending on the barrier material it may do nothing but slow the bamboo's
escape. Most barrier material sold is for trees and in my opinion will fail
under the stress of bamboo. Test on 30 mil barrier failed after 5 years.

We recommend a 4" reinforced concrete barrier 36" deep with a 3" curb above
ground so you can see any rhyzomes that try to escape over the top.

HTH

Bert

Old 26-04-2004, 03:04 AM
SamMan

Thanks for the tips, Bert.

When you talk about removing the 1st and 2nd year's growth, do you mean
above ground growth, or also below the surface? I have a pretty small back
yard, and I estimate the final containment to be about 6-8' by 10-12'....
unless I make my entire 30' x 60' back yard a grove! ;-)

--
SamMan
Rip it to reply

Old 26-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Bert

Just the above ground culms.

Depending on the variety you may want to remove some plants every 5 years or
so. Give to your friends or sell them.

This will help the pot bound conditions the grove can create. Also again
dedending on the variety in the size containment you suggest it will require
extra watering after 5 years or so.

Bert