Old 25-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Default Ficus question.

I have a Ficus Benjimina "too little" that I'm trying to grown in a
broom style. I gave it a major pruning 3-4 months ago, and it's
growing vigorously now but all the leaves are growing on the ends of
the branches, which looks kinda funny.

I'm wondering if I can cut this plant back hard (which would probably
remove all the leaves), or will that kill it? Or should I try grafting
leafy parts lower down the branches? Or is there something else I
should do?

Old 25-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jul 25, 2005, at 2:35 PM, Scooter the Mighty wrote:

I have a Ficus Benjimina "too little" that I'm trying to grown in a
broom style. I gave it a major pruning 3-4 months ago, and it's
growing vigorously now but all the leaves are growing on the ends of
the branches, which looks kinda funny.

I'm wondering if I can cut this plant back hard (which would probably
remove all the leaves), or will that kill it? Or should I try grafting
leafy parts lower down the branches? Or is there something else I
should do?

Cut back the new growth but don't cut all the foliage off. Any branch
that you defoliate will probably die. Don't defoliate the whole tree or
it will die.

As you can imagine, this is a gradual process. Maybe Jerry Meslick can
give us his wisdom

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37