Old 30-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc.

Default [IBC] educate me !!

Hi all.

Downloaded the fertilizer spreadsheet and poured over it with interest.
I fully understand this is not a complete list of fertilizer manufacturers,
and that Dyna-Gro isn't likely to list manufacturers or products that
exceed their own specs.
However, the data it contains seems to suggest that Dyna-Gro products are
better than others because (these are my uneducated assumptions) ......
The Nitrogen included in their products does not come from Urea.
As an uneducated fertilizer user I'm assuming this is a good thing, however,
I have no idea why.
All the elements they list from Phosphorus to Zinc are at measurable
amounts, where others listed are not as complete.
I understand the importance of trace elements. I watched a JPN slowly turn
yellow when I used a fert that did not include them, then back to green when
I used a fert that did. They're obviously important, but do plants really
need obscure amounts of Boron, Chlorine, Cobalt and Moly ?

Are there any case studies that show these elements are actually beneficial
?

Thanks to my more educated friends.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA (currently working in Trinidad CO)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 7/30/2005 1:47:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

The Nitrogen included in their products does not come from Urea.

Urea is produced commercially by the dehydration of ammonium carbamate
(NH2COONH4) at elevated temperature and pressure. Ammonium carbamate is obtained by
direct reaction of ammonia with carbon dioxide. These reactions are normally
carried out simultaneously in a high pressure reactor.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ms/DC0636.html

All the elements they list from Phosphorus to Zinc are at measurable
amounts, where others listed are not as complete.
I understand the importance of trace elements. I watched a JPN slowly turn
yellow when I used a fert that did not include them, then back to green when
I used a fert that did. They're obviously important, but do plants really
need obscure amounts of Boron, Chlorine, Cobalt and Moly ?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG091

From my alma mater, THE University of Florida.

Hail the Orange and Blue Go Gators
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Jim Lewis

Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc. wrote:

All the elements they list from Phosphorus to Zinc are at measurable
amounts, where others listed are not as complete.

That's (partly, at least) because trace elements are needed
in such small amounts that the units of measurement are
meaningless to most people. The "major" minor elements must
be listed by % on the Florida fertilizer label.

I understand the importance of trace elements. I watched a JPN slowly turn
yellow when I used a fert that did not include them, then back to green when
I used a fert that did. They're obviously important, but do plants really
need obscure amounts of Boron, Chlorine, Cobalt and Moly ?

Yes.

Are there any case studies that show these elements are actually beneficial
?

Yah, but rather than that . . .

EVERYONE: Read this: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG090
(Plant Nutrients and Fertilizers for the Non-farmer)

This is "Fertilizers 101" for the Florida Master Gardener
program and is the best simplified explanation I've yet
found on the subject.

Everyone who grows should nearly memorize this. At the very
least download the PDF file and print it out for your
notebooks.

Note the section on fertilizer advertising claims.

And also note the section on micronutrients. It is
referring to plants grown in the ground, but it also will
apply to plants in bonsai soil. (In a nutshell, the
micronutrients ARE important, but most fertilizers contain
too little of them. This is why I purchase a bottle of
"General Purpose Minor Element Spray"* and add 20cc to every
bottle of fish and seaweed emulsion I purchase. It contains
chelated Mg, Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, and S. I rely on the horse
manure compost I add to my soil mix for the "minor" minor
elements.)

If you want more information on fertilizers, do a search for
"fertilizer" or "trace elements" or "micronutrients" at
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/

And, the *edis* site is the best horticultural education you
can find outside of a college major in it. :-) So, look
through it and make your bonsai better (though I doubt you
will find anything on "bonsai."

* I do NOT spray it. It is sold as a "foliar spray" but
since foliar sprays do little or no good that's merely
another marketing ploy to sell something. Mix it in with
your fertilizer if you want to efficiently deliver it to
your plant.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Educate me about Zinnias Paul B Gardening 10 14-08-2008 07:48 AM
[IBC] educate me Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 30-07-2005 10:08 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM