Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Tekmanx

Default Pine - Week 3

As mentioned in my previous post(s). This plant is my first, I've never
really bothered with plants much. Everything I know as of now has come
from this group and "Sunset bonsai", a book I bought. My questions a

1.How soon can I use a fertilizer? I've seen a lot of stuff on using
fertilizer, but nothing on how early it can be used.

2. Can I repot my small plant into the pot as seen in the picture?
....This little bonsai kit I got really mislead me. The tray the plants
are in right now is what came with the kit and it seems from my
readings that I should let the plants grow like I would a normal one
til time for training. Also, I'm guessing It would be better to grow in
a pot of it's own.

Pictures:
http://tekmanx.serveftp.com/~tekmanx/Week1-3/

Fertilizer I currently have: (Miracle-Gro Plant food spike - 6-12-6)
http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.cat...ts/3374359.jpg

The pictures are listed from the first to third week (now). The last
picture is the pot I planned to relocate my plant to..if your advice
permits it.

Thanks in advance,
Tekmanx
-Zone 25 (Florida/Bahamas)

Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Tekmanx wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post(s). This plant is my first, I've never
really bothered with plants much. Everything I know as of now has come
from this group and "Sunset bonsai", a book I bought.

Sunset's "Bonsai" while a good beginner book on "bonsai"
isn't too useful as a horticultural reference. Get Sunset's
book on "Container Gardening" (that may NOT be the exact
title) and read that.

My questions a

1.How soon can I use a fertilizer? I've seen a lot of stuff on using
fertilizer, but nothing on how early it can be used.

If you planted the seed(s) in that little disk of peat
"soil" supplied with the kit, it will need fertilizer fairly
soon. Wait until it has grown 2-3 inches, then use a
standard houseplant fertilizer (if you haven't opened the
box of plant food spikes, take it back and trade it in on a
package of just plain Miracle grow fertilizer (20-20-20 or
something similar). But don't use the spikes. They'll burn
any roots that come in contact with them.

2. Can I repot my small plant into the pot as seen in the picture?
...This little bonsai kit I got really mislead me. The tray the plants
are in right now is what came with the kit and it seems from my
readings that I should let the plants grow like I would a normal one
til time for training. Also, I'm guessing It would be better to grow in
a pot of it's own.

Hold off on transplanting until the stem appears to be
getting woody.

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Tekmanx

Thanks a million! I was soooo tempted to snap a piece off one of those
spikes and put it on the top of my soil. Sooo helpful!

20-20-20 Isn't that stronger than my 6-12-6? I mean I take your word on
getting another solution for fertilizing my plant and I'll also be
looking up that book you mentioned! Liquid/Solid fertilizer?

One more thing, In my sunset bonsai book, it talks about creating your
own soil mix..etc. Should I make my own mix for the repotting that will
take place in...I'm guessing one/two months or should I just use the
ready made mix I showed you before? I've been doing some reading
recently on the types of mixtures. Sunset bonsai seems to be quite
helpful in that area.. at least I think it covers what I need to know,
then again.. I'm a newbie!

Tekmanx
-Zone 25 (Florida/Bahamas)