Old 16-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Brian

Default [IBC] spots and other questions

Hello all,

I've noticed some spots on my azalea and hornbeam trees. The azalea
spots are light brown while the hornbeam spots are black... which I
assume is the black spot fungus (?) but am not sure as this is the first
time I've encountered it. I've uploaded photos to
http://brianh.fantastdesigns.com/bonsai if anyone would be willing to
have a look.

Also, I've been noticing my spruce getting some yellow-ish tints on its
edges. I don't think I over water it, but it could be suffering from a
few days I was out of town and only got one watering. I've moved it
into the shade, any other advice?

Lastly, I've got a black pine I'm pretty sure it starting to get
pot-bound. When is the best time to repot it?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Jim Lewis

Brian wrote:
Hello all,

I've noticed some spots on my azalea and hornbeam trees. The azalea
spots are light brown while the hornbeam spots are black... which I
assume is the black spot fungus (?) but am not sure as this is the first
time I've encountered it. I've uploaded photos to
http://brianh.fantastdesigns.com/bonsai if anyone would be willing to
have a look.

Also, I've been noticing my spruce getting some yellow-ish tints on its
edges. I don't think I over water it, but it could be suffering from a
few days I was out of town and only got one watering. I've moved it
into the shade, any other advice?

Lastly, I've got a black pine I'm pretty sure it starting to get
pot-bound. When is the best time to repot it?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

It sure helps if we knew where you live!

But . . . DEPENDING on where you live, it is mid to late
summer now and leaves are starting to show some wear and
tear. Minor rusts and fungus take advantage of tired leaves
and start showing up. In 90% of the cases, there's no
problem. Remove the affected leaf or leaves if they really
offend you.

However, if you live in the USA's mid eastern area or
southeast, if you have had a LOT of wet weather, and if your
azalea leaves are also curling (lengthwise) and turning
limp, you MAY have "rhododendron dieback." It is a
_Phytophthora_ fungus. There's no "cure."

You should prune all branches on which there are leaves
showing those symptoms. Take a hard look at the cut site
and if there is brown/dark wood showing, CUT BACK UNTIL THE
WOOD LOOKS WHITE AGAIN, THEN CUT ANOTHER 2 INCHES BACK.
Sterilize your clippers after EVERY cut in a strong bleach
solution.

Hornbeam tend to have spotty leaves late in the year. But
spraying it with a baking soda solution (4tsp to 1 gal.
water) probably wouldn't hurt.

Otherwise (much more likely) I wouldn't worry.

I can't help with spruce, having never grown one down here
(and that probably means you're not in the southeast).

The pine should be transplanted in the early spring. Root
bound won't kill it, but you will have to keep an eye on
watering. This is the ONE time when regular watering by
submersion is the best approach because watering from the
top often doesn't do the job on a root bound plant. Still,
do not overwater!

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++