Old 29-08-2005, 11:09 PM
John Dhom

Default Rusty tools :(

Besides "don't do that"... any advice on cleaning up bonsai tools that are
rusty. I bought a set of joshua roth tools when i got into bonsai years ago
and I let them get wet/rusty last fall. The last thing I tried was naval
jelly which got much of the rust but has left them with a milky film.
Suggestions for getting remaining rust and residue off my tools?
--
Best,
John Dhom

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

Old 30-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Marty Haber

See if you can pick up diamond-dust files. They come in 3 degrees: fine,
medium, coarse. When you file branch cutters and other rounded surfaces,
file only on the OUTSIDE of the curve. Don't overdo it, because removing
too much steel will leave a gap between the blades.
Naval jelly does remove rust, but it also dulls the blade. It's a no-no for
bonsai tools.
After getting the tool as sharp as possible, wash all the dirt off with warm
water & soap, dry it well, then apply a coat of mineral oil or baby oil.
Good luck.
Marty H.
Besides "don't do that"... any advice on cleaning up bonsai tools that are
rusty. I bought a set of joshua roth tools when i got into bonsai years
ago
and I let them get wet/rusty last fall. The last thing I tried was naval
jelly which got much of the rust but has left them with a milky film.
Suggestions for getting remaining rust and residue off my tools?
--
Best,
John Dhom

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Mike Rogers

take the tools to a body shop with a sand or glass bead blaster-I'll bet
they wouldn't charge too much and tools will come back like new-but will
need a good edge honed back on..

Mike Rogers

New Address

www.rogersrarities.com

Cell
209-482-3023

Old 30-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Dogma Discharge

"John Dhom" wrote in message
Besides "don't do that"... any advice on cleaning up bonsai tools that are
rusty. I bought a set of joshua roth tools when i got into bonsai years

ago
and I let them get wet/rusty last fall. The last thing I tried was naval
jelly which got much of the rust but has left them with a milky film.
Suggestions for getting remaining rust and residue off my tools?

If you soak them in Coca Cola it will remove the Rust and Residue, no
problem.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 30-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Nice :-) a lot of good tipps here!! I had the same problem but now i've
been succesfull!

BRGDS, J

Old 30-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Jim Lewis

Dogma Discharge wrote:
"John Dhom" wrote in message

Besides "don't do that"... any advice on cleaning up bonsai tools that are
rusty. I bought a set of joshua roth tools when i got into bonsai years

ago

and I let them get wet/rusty last fall. The last thing I tried was naval
jelly which got much of the rust but has left them with a milky film.
Suggestions for getting remaining rust and residue off my tools?

If you soak them in Coca Cola it will remove the Rust and Residue, no
problem.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

And then, spend just a little time thinking about what that
stuff does to your STOMACH!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

Old 30-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Craig Cowing

On Aug 29, 2005, at 7:18 PM, Marty Haber wrote:

See if you can pick up diamond-dust files. They come in 3 degrees:
fine, medium, coarse. When you file branch cutters and other rounded
surfaces, file only on the OUTSIDE of the curve. Don't overdo it,
because removing too much steel will leave a gap between the blades.
snip
Good luck.
Marty H.

I have a medium grade diamond file and it's great. It only takes a few
passes to sharpen a tool.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-08-2005, 03:23 PM
John Dhom

Thanks for the many suggestions... plan to use most all of them. Checked
and I have access to a "sand blaster" (probably glass beads or similar
media) and will hit them a lick today and check results. Will knock off the
rust and stay away from edges proper. I'll get a couple diamond laps to get
the edges back in shape [re-read brent's article and will get local help].
I'll be cleaning/treating tools after use from now on (and put them away!).

--
Best,
John

Zone 6, Sunset 33... nashville area

"John Dhom" wrote in message
Besides "don't do that"... any advice on cleaning up bonsai tools that are
rusty.

floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
Clarington Forge Tools from Bulldog Tools UK Robert Larson Lawns 0 31-03-2007 05:24 PM
[IBC] Rusty tools :( John Quinn Bonsai 1 30-08-2005 02:59 PM
place to buy rusty garden tools James Caley United Kingdom 29 11-10-2003 11:12 PM