Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Default place to buy rusty garden tools

Hi there everyone, I'm glad to be joining the team and hope, although I'm still very much a novice, to be able to give some useful advice to people.

The question I wanted to ask was really, does anyone know where I can get rusty, second hand garden tools from. The reason I ask is that someone has asked me to make a heron for them and, because they have an allotment, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make it from old rusty garden tools.

I've been on a few websites, but just found antiques which are too expensive, and I'm going to go round loads of scrapyards this Saturday, I thought I'd throw my question to everyone at GardenBanter.

In any case I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have many discussions on matters which are close to people's hearts.

All the best for now,

James Caley
Old 09-10-2003, 11:23 AM
William Tasso

James Caley wrote:
does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from.

beg, steal or borrow - I suspect a trip to local allotments will turn up the
necessary. Just ask, I'm sure there'll be at least one discrded item in
every shed.

In any case I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have many
discussions on matters which are close to people's hearts.

a minor point prhaps, but this is a newsgroup, not a web site.

toodle-pip
--
William Tasso

Old 09-10-2003, 02:03 PM
JennyC

"William Tasso" wrote in message
James Caley wrote:
does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from.

beg, steal or borrow - I suspect a trip to local allotments will

turn up the
necessary. Just ask, I'm sure there'll be at least one discrded

item in
every shed.

In any case I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have many
discussions on matters which are close to people's hearts.

a minor point prhaps, but this is a newsgroup, not a web site.

toodle-pip
William Tasso

Hi William,
He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)
Jenny

Old 09-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Sad Sid

James Caley wrote:
does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from.

Car boot sales are good for a whole range. Sometimes turn up at local
house-clearance auctions - I bought a bundle including long & short handled
shovels (classic spade shape), two spades, two border forks and a pick-axe
for £2.00. No-one else bid - they were after all the broken china and wormy
furniture...

Old 09-10-2003, 02:03 PM
martin

James Caley wrote:
does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from.

Car boot sales are good for a whole range. Sometimes turn up at local
house-clearance auctions - I bought a bundle including long & short handled
shovels (classic spade shape), two spades, two border forks and a pick-axe
for £2.00. No-one else bid - they were after all the broken china and wormy
furniture...

next somebody will tell you that they are stolen.

I'll fetch my coat, this is where I came in....

--
Martin

Old 09-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:29:28 GMT, James Caley
wrote:

Hi there everyone, I'm glad to be joining the team and hope, although
I'm still very much a novice, to be able to give some useful advice to
people.

The question I wanted to ask was really, does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from. The reason I ask is that
someone has asked me to make a heron for them and, because they have an
allotment, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make it from old rusty
garden tools.

I've been on a few websites, but just found antiques which are too
expensive, and I'm going to go round loads of scrapyards this Saturday,
I thought I'd throw my question to everyone at GardenBanter.

In any case I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have many
discussions on matters which are close to people's hearts.

Check out your local refuse tip ( now called a 'recycling centre' ).
You'll find plenty of old tools there - assuming the people who are
sub-contracted to run the place have a totting shed.

You might also find some less than rusty tools too - I picked up a set
of Wolf interchangeable tools for a fiver.... and the handle alone was
worth twice that.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 09-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"James Caley" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi there everyone, I'm glad to be joining the team and hope, although
I'm still very much a novice, to be able to give some useful advice to
people.

The question I wanted to ask was really, does anyone know where I can
get rusty, second hand garden tools from. The reason I ask is that
someone has asked me to make a heron for them and, because they have an
allotment, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make it from old rusty
garden tools.

I've been on a few websites, but just found antiques which are too
expensive, and I'm going to go round loads of scrapyards this Saturday,
I thought I'd throw my question to everyone at GardenBanter.

In any case I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have many
discussions on matters which are close to people's hearts.

You would make yourself even more welcome in this newsgroup if you were to
subscribe directly to uk.rec.gardening instead of via the indirect way you
have chosen.
It costs you nothing, except to learn how to join a newsgroup.
If your ISP does not support a newsgroup srevice, you should sack him and
get another ISP.

Franz

Old 09-10-2003, 05:03 PM
martin

wrote:

[...]

or sometimes "local authority amenity centre"

--
Martin
Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from martin contains these words:

next somebody will tell you that they are stolen.

I'll fetch my coat, this is where I came in....

I don't recall you had a coat when you came in, Martin. Just put it
back, and we'll say no more about it.

Janet

Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
martin

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:57:42 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

next somebody will tell you that they are stolen.

I'll fetch my coat, this is where I came in....

I don't recall you had a coat when you came in, Martin. Just put it
back, and we'll say no more about it.

I told you so...

..... so it's back to walking from Lands End to John O'Groats wearing
nothing but a giant rucksack and a silly grin.........
--
Martin
Old 09-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before jumping
into it?

Franz

Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

--
Rusty Hinge

Indeedy Rusty. Probably the least promoted area of the net now. The web
is king of the net and all else is rubbish you`d have thought.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 10-10-2003, 12:22 PM
martin

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:53:47 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

He's accessing URG via http://www.gardenbanter.com/ so I guess it
sortof looks like a website :~)

More fool he.

You'd be surprised how many people have never heard of Usenet.

Don't all folk read an introductory book about the Internet before jumping
into it?

Read a book?
What nowadays?
Don't be old fashioned Franz :-)
--
Martin

floral tools,floral garden tools,floral hand tools supplier in china [email protected] Australia 0 17-09-2007 01:38 PM
Clarington Forge garden tools from Bulldog Tools, UK Robert Larson Gardening 0 31-03-2007 05:32 PM
Clarington Forge Tools from Bulldog Tools UK Robert Larson Lawns 0 31-03-2007 05:24 PM
Rusty tools :( John Dhom Bonsai 7 31-08-2005 03:23 PM
[IBC] Rusty tools :( John Quinn Bonsai 1 30-08-2005 02:59 PM