Old 01-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Ethan Smith

Default [IBC] CoCoon on Spruce and Pine?

Hi everyone,

I've recently noticed a cocoon type structure on a large adult Picea
Pungens and now on my new Pinus Densiflora. The cocoon seems to be
made of old and or dead needles and hangs down from the banch. It
looks rather scruffy and strange not very uniform and basically looks
like glued together needles.

Initially I passed it off as some kind of natural function of the
Picea Pungens, but this morning I noticed an identical cocoon on my
Densiflora? They are attached to the underside of the branch and might
be tapped into the sap?

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Is it threatening to the
health of the trees?

I think it might be some kind of moth or butterfly but there are so
many, and I know so little about them that Google can't even help me.

thanks,
-Ethan

--
Ethan Smith, Columbus, Ohio
USDA Zone 6, Sunset 35 & 41

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Michael Persiano

Thyrirlopteryx ephemeraeformis--Bags worms--cut them off and squash them. They like to eat things. ):-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Jim Lewis

Ethan Smith wrote:
[...]

Those are bagworms. Left alone, and if there are enough of
them, they'll defoliate your tree. Pull the cocoon off,
then step on it.

I haven't seen any here this year, so if you are handy with
a digital camera, take a picture and post it on the
"Pests-Let's see yours" threa in the "Not Necessarily
Bonsai" forum in our galleries. We are getting a huge
rogues' (and heros') gallery on insect/diseases there.

zzw2

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Nina