Old 13-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Juniper

In a message dated 3/13/2003 3:34:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Hi, maybe someone can help me. What other types of Juniper are there
(scientific names) other that chinensis and rigada?

Try this to start
http://members.tripod.com/~Hatch_L/juniper.html
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

good morning,
my juniper is turning yellow..
Could it be a problem?
Yes, I think so.
iS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS ANY HEAR FOR ME??

Hi Carlo. Is the juniper indoors or outdoors? If it's indoors, yes it
has a problem: it is indoors. If it is outdoors, it's more difficult to
say what's wrong; it could be mites, it could be overwatering, or
underwatering, it could be Phomopsis blight. You need to give us more
information. Go to

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

and look under "bonsai doctor" for my diagnostic form, to give you an idea
of the sort of information a plant pathologist needs in order to answer
your question.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-01-2004, 10:42 PM
kevin bailey

Completely different species with different responses. Some Junipers are
relatively easy to lift, it's only J communis that's virtually
impossible AFAIK.

Most Cedrus that I've tried are fairly easy, so long as you retain a
good root ball. My experience does not include digging up Juniperus
virginiana, yet. I have many from seed that will be planted out soon.
Get back to me in five years or so ;-)

I suspect they'll be easy.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

i know there have been many posts about the difficulty of digging up
common
junipers, but does this also apply to the eastern red cedar as well? or
are
these much easier to collect?

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Jim Lewis

i know there have been many posts about the difficulty of
digging up common
junipers, but does this also apply to the eastern red cedar as

well? or are
these much easier to collect?

Yes. J. virginiana digs quite easily, but be sure to keep SOME
of the native soil for the first trip to a pot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

Old 02-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Eastern Red Cedar is Juniperius virginiana. Dr. Nina S. of our list is the
authority and closer to your climatic zone. Hopefully she will respond.

Gosh, it's nice to be an authority on *something*, even if it is red cedar. J. virginiana is tough as nails. I have dug them up in August. I put them in deep shade until they start to grow, then move them to full sun. Once they start growing, the rest
of your life will be devoted to cutting them back.

-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-03-2004, 12:35 AM
kevin bailey

In my limited experience - Blauuws, San Jose and squamata Meyeri - yes
ring barking does the trick.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales