Old 17-03-2003, 02:32 AM
XdjipsterX

Default acer palmatum atropurpurea

is it possible to make bonsai of it, becouse i've found one in nursery stock
and has some potential to become bonsai!!!!
???
so is it possible (I've read somewhere that it has got quite big leaves)
thanks

ivan
croatia

Old 17-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Iris Cohen

is it possible to make bonsai of it, becouse i've found one in nursery stock
and has some potential to become bonsai!!!

Yes. Acer palmatum is a very popular bonsai subject. What you probably saw is
an 'Atropurpureum' type seedling. The leaves may turn greenish in the summer,
but will turn red again in the fall. Acer palmatum leaves usually reduce well
with bonsai techniques.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."