Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Blah 2 (was: [IBC] the list is quiet)

Craig wrote:

Everyone must be out collecting and repotting! I went out

collecting
again yesterday in the woods behind our house.

Some of us are treading water.

Two weeks ago I wrote:

"Since February 22, I have recorded 17.45 inches of rain in
the gage in front of my house, 4 of them in the last 24 hours.
The "official" weather measurement for Tallahassee (about 25
miles to the south of me) is 9.8 inches. We have had TWO days
without rain in that period -- TWO! We've probably seen the sun
for a total of 20 minutes. Two of the three roads to my place
are under water. My driveway is impassable up the hill to the
house. The barn is flooded."

Add another 4+ inches to my total (half an inch last night, when
the rain probability was ZERO!). "They" are predicting another
2-4 inches overnight tonight and tomorrow. (Maybe they'll be as
wrong about that as they were last night. HA! These guys seem
to do OK predicting when it WILL rain.

A small plus. Yesterday (until about midnight) was clear, with
sunshine all day. No sun today, though "they" had predicted it
in YESTERDAY's forecast.

I'm still parking 100 yards from the house. The barn has an inch
of water in every stall. The river is still flooding.
Mosquitoes outside will carry you away if you forget to bathe in
Cutters. At least it's warm (80 here yesterday, 70 now at 8:15
a.m.).

I've covered the pot of a newly potted juniper with foil. It was
going limp (NOT CRISPY!). I have little hope for it, but . . .
I brought another newly potted tree -- a small bougie -- indoors
to let IT dry out.

Repotting is over down here. No collecting for me, anymore,
either. I already have too many trees. There IS a limit.
Today, I spent 10 minutes looking for a tree I KNEW was on my
shelves somewhere. When that happens, you've reached tree
saturation -- or above. Getting more trees is simply being
greedy.

I _have_ moved some from grow boxes to pots -- halfheartedly. I
think, however, that several trees will be going to the club
raffle during our April show.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Grumbling --
about the weather (which I can do nothing about) and the world
situation (ditto -- until the next election)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++