Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
DouglasTaylor

Default [IBC] Couple of Larch Questions

I have a couple of Larch questions:

In a few bonsai reference books I have, it is stated that larch root work best be done when the buds are golden or just starting to show green. If the buds have opened up to the "shaving brush stage" you are in the danger zone and if they have elongated an
d you disturb the roots the tree will likely die.

If the buds have not yet turned Golden but the soil is unfrozen is it risky to re-pot?

In Colin Lewis's latest, I.M.H.O. fantastic, book he suggest (paraphrased I hope miss-quoted I hope not) not wiring or leaving wire on larches over the winter because it causes Twig/branch die back.

I asked New England's Larch expert, Mr. Ogre of the two dozen fields, if he noticed this effect on his larches and he said "NO I give most of my larches the dental wire treatment every winter and never noticed die-back any worse then on other trees" .

I was thinking (look out) the great pony tailed one might be talking European Larches while Mr. Ogre works mainly with American Larches and that may be the reason for the conflicting advice.

What have your experiences been? Do you wire your larches during the long winter or wait until the busy spring?

Doug Taylor

Zone 5 Mass.

Bonsai Society of Greater Springfield, Mass.
www.geocities.com/springfieldbonsai/

Han-Pul, Korean Martial Arts Site
www.hanpul.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-03-2003, 11:08 PM
kevin bailey

I collect and lift Larches from autumn (fall) through to when the buds
begin to open. They very rarely fail. Having said that, if it is a
developed tree, why take any risks? Wait until the buds look swollen and
then repot.

We get mild winters so my experiences of wire problems are not as
relevant. I wire at any time when there are no leaves on the tree. The
only ones I've had problems with are ones that I bent too far!-(

Cheers
Kev Bailey

[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-03-2003, 11:44 PM
R. Michael Waterhouse

Hello Doug:

your question:

What have your experiences been? Do you wire your larches during the long winter or wait until the busy spring?

I wire Larch from the beginning of February through early May here in Maine. I keep my Larch outside, mulched with pine needles but after I wire I protect them from cold wind to minimize any die-back. I find the earlier I wire the less I tend to disturb
the buds.

I asked New England's Larch expert, Mr. Ogre of the two dozen fields......

I'm a bit of an American Larch nut myself. Who is Mr Ogre? does he have a website? Is he in the New England area?

Mike Waterhouse -
President, Kennebec Valley Bonsai Club
Litchfield, Maine
Zone 4-5

[...]