Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Claudio Fierro

Default [IBC] juniperus sabina

Need help on germinating seeds from j. sabina. I collected them this
weekend from a juniper on the beach. Do they need some kind of
pretreatment? Any advice?
Thanks for the help.
Claudio Fierro Neudörfer, Chile (Zone 9).

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Need help on germinating seeds from j. sabina. I collected them
this
weekend from a juniper on the beach. Do they need some kind of
pretreatment? Any advice?
Thanks for the help.

Only info I have is from Dirr's "Woody Landscape Plants" and he
says to collect ripened fruits in late fall or winter, clean by
maceration, dry seeds and store in sealed containers in
refrigerator. He doesn't say for how long or when to plant.
You'd probably need his propagation book for that.

Some IBCers have it, maybe they can pitch in.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Sean Nemecek

You'd probably need his propagation book for that.

Some IBCers have it, maybe they can pitch in.

Dirr says, "Seed: Impermeable coat and embryo dormancy necessitates
warm/cold period. 60 minutes acid followed by 3 months cold stratification
resulted in good germination."

Hope this helps.

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"
Need help on germinating seeds from j. sabina. I collected them

this
weekend from a juniper on the beach. Do they need some kind of
pretreatment? Any advice?
Thanks for the help.

Only info I have is from Dirr's "Woody Landscape Plants" and he
says to collect ripened fruits in late fall or winter, clean by
maceration, dry seeds and store in sealed containers in
refrigerator. He doesn't say for how long or when to plant.
You'd probably need his propagation book for that.

Some IBCers have it, maybe they can pitch in.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

****

****

Old 03-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Claudio Fierro

Thanks for the tip on germination, but what kind of acid do I use for treatment
(and in what concentration)?
Thanks.
Claudio Fierron Neudorfer, Chile. Zone 9

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Sean Nemecek

8
what kind of acid do I use for treatment
(and in what concentration)?
8

I recommend you purchace, borrow, or otherwise obtain "THe Reference Manual
of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture" by Michael A. Dirr
and Charles W. Heuser, Jr. It contains a wealth of information and
guidelines for all sorts of propagation. Here is the section relating to
"Hard seed coats" (page 17) - condensed by me.

Hard seed coats can be broken down by:

1. Fall plant and let nature take its course.

2. Mechanical means such as a file or abrasive wheel.

3. Hot water soaks -- Water is heated to 190 F and poured over the seeds
which steep for 6 to 12 (24) hours. Then the water is drained and the seeds
are planted.

4. Acid treatment -- Use sulfuric acid or nitric acid. Exercise extreme
care since these acids are caustic.
a. Wear goggles and protective clothing.
b. Use a large glass vessel.
c. Place seeds inside dry glass vessel and add about twice volume of
acid over seeds. Stir with repeatedly with glass rod for prescribed time
period (in this case 60 minutes).
d. Always check seed for coat thickness by extracting a vey, rinsing
and cutting in half with pruners. Different seed lots of the same species
may have thinner or thicker coats.
e. Decant acid and seeds through a screening device and wash under cold
water for 5 to 10 minutes to remove acid.
f. Spread seeds on paper, separate to make sure they do not glump
together and allow to dry at room temperature.
g. Seeds are now ready to sow or can be placed in cold-moist or
warm-moist stratification treatments (Cold moist in this case).

I personally have never tried this method, but it is what the book
recommends. I would really suggest you get a copy of this book. It
contains a great deal of information about soils and environment for most
woody plants in addition to propigation techniques.

Good Luck!

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] juniperus repotting Andre Slivitzly Bonsai 4 06-04-2004 09:19 PM
[IBC] FWD: Juniperus jklewis Bonsai 1 27-12-2003 01:12 AM
[IBC] Juniperus horizontalis Pipo Bonsai 2 11-10-2003 02:22 PM
[IBC] juniperus sabina Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 02-04-2003 01:56 AM
[IBC] Juniperus Rigida cuttings??? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 23-02-2003 12:39 AM