Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Ted Byers

Default Maple bonsai?

Here is what I had written, and Don's reply.

======start quote from rec.gardens.orchids========
[snipped previous discussion about what to do with my back yard]
This will require more patience than my orchids, since it will be a year

or
two before I can do much with that part of the property, and I still have

get rid of a "hedge" some genius tried to make using maples. What a sight
that makes! Imagine a straight line of the sickliest striplings you have
ever seen, planted an average of 15 cm apart! There are issues in the

house
itself I have to address this year; not to mention my automated

orchidarium
project for this summer. One thing at a time!

That Maple hedge may be of interest to someone into bonsai, depending on the
type of maple. The size of the trunk is the main interest, the height
doesn't matter much as they will do what is called a trunk chop. You would
have free labour and get to see a big smile on someones' face. You could
offer them at rec.arts.bonsai, there are a few in that group from the GTA.

======end quote from rec.gardens.orchids========

Was Don right? The whole idea of a maple hedge struck me as so silly that I
never looked closely enough to know the species. In fact, I find the idea
of a Maple bonsai rather odd (but that my just be my near complete ignorance
about what can be done with different tree species in your art form).

If so, anyone close enough to Orillia Ontario to make it worth while is
welcome to come and take as many of these striplings as is desired. All I
care about in this matter is that they're gone. Just let me know, and soon,
since when the weather gets nicer, I will likely enlist the aid of my
brother in law or nephew to clear them out. I expect they will be able to
make use of their trunks, small as they are, in their wood stove or their
fire pit.

Cheers,

Ted