Old 06-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Online sources for japanese maples?

My local nursery has fed my recent addiction to yard-size
japanese
maples but doesn't have a great selection of say 1gal size for
pseudo-bonsai plans. Pointers to great bang-for-the-buck and
avoid-at-all-cost jmaple nurseries would be appreciated. TIA

Goto: www.mountainmaples.com

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Marty & Patty Weiser

Mountain maples has a great selection of high quality A. palmatum.
Unfortunately for the first poster they are not inexpensive. If you are
concerned about bang-for-the-buck buy the larger Japanese maples when they
go on sale and cut back severely. A. palmatum is one of the most forgiving
plants I have found for both root pruning and top cutting - they can bud
from very old wood. I have both started many from seed which is a longer
term plan than even 1 gallon nursery stock and severely root pruned and very
large, ugly end-of-season nursery stock - see
http://iebs.8m.com/martydemo/maple/maple1.html for an example.

Marty