Old 16-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Becca Ridout

Default [IBC] Hello from Japan (and some questions)

Hi, everyone,
I suppose this is mostly mostly for Jim Lewis, since I
know he has spent time in Japan, but anyone else familiar
with Japan please help too.
First of all, I want to know if anyone knows of any bonsai
related stores, museums in either Osaka or Kyoto? I know
there is plenty of this in Tokyo, but it will be some time
before I get a chance to get up there. Right now I'm
living halfway between Osaka and Kyoto and I visit each
frequently. I've seen hundreds of houses with bonsai in
the yards but not a single store related to them. Some of
the flower shops have little quince starter plants but
thats it (and useless to me since I can't bring actual
plants home, I'm really looking for pots). I hope to get a
chance to visit some kiln towns, but I'm in classes and
have a limited budget, so I can't rely on definate travel
plans. Any recomendations of places in or near the Osaka
region would be really appreciated.

Second question is just a little observation I made. I've
noticed that tons of the potted plants around here have
halves of eggselfs piled around the soil in the pots. Is
this some sort of fertilizing technique? It would sort of
make sense that eggshells would contain trace elements or
something, but in that case, I'd think you'd want to crush
them up and mix it into the soil. What's the purpose of
just laying intact halves of eggshells around the plants?

well, it's harder for me to keep up with the mailing list
over here, but I'll be in touch. Thanks!

Rebecca

See you, Space Cowboy......

Rebecca Ridout-- --MD,USA
For the best comics, toys, movies, and more,
please visit
http://www.tfaw.com/?qt=wmf

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++