Old 20-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Eastern White Pine

As you probably know, I have a two foot pine in a 10-inch bulb pan. It has a
very skinny trunk, which I wired last year, but still has a couple of 1-degree
s-curves. It is intended as a more or less formal upright. It has 4 long skinny
branches. It is budding back a little, but will take at least another year to
look like anything. Since it is already budding back on the trunk, I hope to
get it down to 18" with a few more branches. The branches should bud back & get
a little shorter. Would it be appropriate to put s-curves in the branches to
make them shorter & bulkier? What is the minimum number of branches I will need
to make it look like a tree (albeit a symbolic one)? I am trying to get more of
a very understated Chinese effect, rather than a lush Japanese type. If the
tree winds up at 18" tall, how long should the bottom branch be? Since it is 6"
up the trunk & I don't expect any back budding below that, I have the branches
in an exaggerated downsweep.
This is intended as the Great Tree of Peace of the Iroquois, which is usually
depicted in a very stylized way.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."