Old 21-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Eastern White Pine

Iris,
If the first branch is 6 inches from the bottom and there is an exaggerated
downsweep of the branches it will need to be short to keep from hitting the
ground. Or am I spatially challenged?
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
As you probably know, I have a two foot pine in a 10-inch bulb pan. It has a
very skinny trunk, which I wired last year, but still has a couple of 1-degree
s-curves. It is intended as a more or less formal upright. It has 4 long
skinny
branches. It is budding back a little, but will take at least another year to
look like anything. Since it is already budding back on the trunk, I hope to
get it down to 18" with a few more branches. The branches should bud back &
get
a little shorter. Would it be appropriate to put s-curves in the branches to
make them shorter & bulkier? What is the minimum number of branches I will
need
to make it look like a tree (albeit a symbolic one)? I am trying to get more
of
a very understated Chinese effect, rather than a lush Japanese type. If the
tree winds up at 18" tall, how long should the bottom branch be? Since it is
6"
up the trunk & I don't expect any back budding below that, I have the branches
in an exaggerated downsweep.
This is intended as the Great Tree of Peace of the Iroquois, which is usually
depicted in a very stylized way.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

************************************************** ****************************
**
************************************************** ****************************
**

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Jerry Meislik

Iris,
Judging from what you say that the tree is thin and tall the branches should
be relatively short, and thin in volume. If the tree has gentle curves than
I would style the branches with similar curves. It sure does sound very
literati like. White pines with their open habit should be naturals for this
or Penjing type styles.
Hope this helps.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
If the first branch is 6 inches from the bottom and there is an exaggerated
downsweep of the branches it will need to be short to keep from hitting the
ground.

Of course. That would make the first branch about 6-7 inches long. I was
wondering if it should be as long as that, or shorter, with more of a
literati look. See the sketches in Korashoff's book, where she compares a
Chinese formal upright with a Japanese one.
Iris

************************************************** ****************************
**
************************************************** ****************************
**

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM

In a message dated 4/21/03 8:17:34 AM, writes:
I introduced a serpentine sort of curve to add interest to the branch.

I did the same thing.

My guess is that with this species you're going to have to go with a
literati look, but with the needle length (unless you cut the needles and spray with
water, or hand-prune the needles in length) you might have to go with
something larger.

18 inches is about all I care to manage. I've seen ponderosa pines in that
size range, & I think I can get the needles smaller than that.

As I look at these buds, at this point I don't see them as future
terminal buds to cut back to but as interior buds to add foliage further in on the
branch.

In my case, the new candles are all where I want to shorten the top &
branches. Refinement will come later. I should live so long.

One of the things I'm finding that will help is keeping the tree in the
same pot without repotting for several years.

I am definitely not moving it this year. It remains to be seen whether it

will be ready next year. Sorry, I only have the room & time for one of these.