Old 21-02-2003, 02:31 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Thank you......

.....for the welcome and for the information, both in the NG
and e-mails. I
saved your info for reference and appreciate all the input.

Jim, Andy, Carl, Nina, and Jeff, and those who e-mailed, here

is my
decision. I do not know enough to purchase a tree now.

So, don't. Head down to the nearest nursery (or Home Depot,
Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc. garden center) and buy a woody plant -- a
juniper, or a holly (Yaupon is best), or a boxwood, or a privet.
And while you're there, check their publications rack -- where
they sell those little books from Ortho or Sunset or Southern
Living, etc. and see if they don't have Sunset's "Bonsai." If
they do, buy it. If they don't have it, find someone and have
them order it.

Take plants and book home and follow the instructions in the book
and BUILD YOUR OWN BONSAI. That is a heckuva lot more satisfying
than going out and buying someone else's bonsai, then just
watering it. That's kinda like reading about sex. (Or beer. ;-)

www.borders.com is a pretty good source for finding bonsai books,
too. Also www.abebooks.com for used books (which will have the
Sunset book, too. But don't buy the first edition! The second
or third (I think there's a fourth out now) are worthwhile.)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 05:40 AM
Helena Handbasket

Oh good lord Jim, now you've gone and done it. Two of oldehippies favorite subjects in
one paragraph and you've got him hooked on bonsai forever! ;-P

Glad to see you've finally made it over here Bill! Time to start on some RL trees instead
of the virtual ones we've been playing with for so long.

Just wanted to add to the book discussion and let you know that your library can be a good
source of book material. I can access my entire library system via the web and order them
up that way. It makes it nice to be able to preview books prior to buying them.

Take plants and book home and follow the instructions in the book
and BUILD YOUR OWN BONSAI. That is a heckuva lot more satisfying
than going out and buying someone else's bonsai, then just
watering it. That's kinda like reading about sex. (Or beer. ;-) "

I like the mental picture...read about sex.....well, Kama Sutra does come to
mind. lol

To make it clear, I have no intention to buy another's work. Sort of like
wanting a custom car or motorcycle then buying one somebody else made. I
want to get my hands into it and create my own living art.

Okay, since I am disabled I don't get out and around all that much. We just
had a 'Super' Wal-Mart addition built in town but I never did too much
shopping there. Now I have a reason to, and I know getting out and doing
some walking is good for me. Thanks for the tip. And Friday the temps are
expected to be in low 50s so guess where I'm going?

But maybe just for the books first, I'll see when I get there. ;-P

Bill

--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
...Charles A. Meyers

--
¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) katie

Helena's Sim Estates
http://www.simbella.com/helena/

We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the
night.

Old 22-02-2003, 07:03 PM
oldehippie

"Glad to see you've finally made it over here Bill! Time to start on some
RL trees instead
of the virtual ones we've been playing with for so long."

Thanks for the welcome Katie. I did check out the library, there were six
titles that caught my eye. Two were actually 'sposed to be at my library
and one was in so I have "The Living Art of Bonsai" by Amy Liang to peruse
for two weeks or so.

After library went to Wally World. What a mess. They went to "Super" and I
can't find a darn thing now. No idea where the books are but I will make it
back when I can walk longer.

Olde Hippie

--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
....Charles A. Meyers

[IBC] Thank You Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 13-06-2005 03:45 PM
thank you Diana, you were right J Fortuna Orchids 0 04-09-2004 06:40 PM
[IBC] Thank You luc tran Bonsai 0 11-11-2003 02:12 AM
[IBC] Thank you for Jim Lewis Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 04-09-2003 09:25 PM
Happy Xmas to you all - thank you for hours of happy listening Maryanne North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:44 PM