Old 23-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] Crassula something?

Landon Jeffery wrote:

Howdy all!
Well here goes! I am thinking of getting a jade plant(Crassula
somthing i just forget) to train into bonsai. Does anyone know if this
plant is suitable for a begginer? Well any advice will be much appreciated.

Well, I can't think of a plant that's much easier to keep alive/healthy. About the
only way to kill a Jade is to:
A) overwater
or
B) let it freeze.

There are those who will say that, for bonsai, the leaves are too big, the branches
too coarse, etc. All pretty much true. That said, I have some Trumpet Jade (
Crassula something or other 'Gollum') bonsai & pre-bonsai that I enjoy quite a bit.
A nice fat trunk and stout branches will help to mitigate the general coarseness of
the foliage. Wiring is probably pointless - it's a clip-and-grow plant, and you can
cut them back pretty hard with impunity. So go for it, have fun, and work your way
up to more 'respectable' trees as you gain confidence.

Have fun,

Jay

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Marty Haber

Crassula used to be synonymous with bonsai. A long time ago some people
thought that the Jade plant WAS bonsai.
Actually, it isn't the best choice for two reasons: it does not have a woody
structure and the plant is a shrub - not a tree.
On the plus side, it is very adaptable for indoor conditions, does not
require much water and does not need much sunlight.
The principal problem is that it is subject to mealy bug (a white- flat bug)
which seems to like attacking the crotch between the leaf and the branch.
This can be controlled with a swab of alcohol if you should encounter it.
Marty
Well here goes! I am thinking of getting a jade plant(Crassula
somthing i just forget) to train into bonsai. Does anyone know if this
plant is suitable for a begginer? Well any advice will be much

appreciated.

Bonsai Guru

Richard Jeffery - Northern Utah -

****