Old 02-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Contorted 'Paul's Scarlet'

Folks

I have to periodically ask this question: Has anyone seen or

know the
origin of a pink flowered hawthorn with a very contorted habit?

The flowers
and leaves are almost identical to Crataegus x media 'Paul's

Scarlet (C.
laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet).

I have such a plant. I was given it years ago and have since

seen only one
other, at the grounds of the Miniature Plant Kingdom. What I am

after is
the correct name for this cultivar and it's history. It is my

belief that
it made the landscape circuit as a novelty around the first

half of 20th
century, but all interest was lost and it has nearly

disappeared. Surely
there is some arboretum around the world that has preserved

this cultivar.

The Genus Crataegus is in such disarray that you may never get an
answer, Brent.

The Arnold Arboretum used to pride itself on having people that
know this genus. Ernest Palmer used to be 'da man,' but he is
long retired and may no longer be with us. He may still have
some disciples on staff. An inquiry there may bear fruit (so to
speak).

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Brian Corll

How about Crataegus laeviata 'Rosa Flora Plena' - Paul's Scarlet is an
offspring of this plant.

Old 13-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Iris Cohen

How about Crataegus laeviata 'Rosa Flora Plena'

At present it is considered C. xmedia (laevigata [sic] x monogyna).
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)