Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Theo

Default [IBC] Maple advice

Hi Nina

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Take a good look at the trunk to see if it's grafted. Most maple

cultivars

it is not the trunk is almost 2 " diam thick one piece no difference of color
nor swollen parts I know how it looks like when grafted as I had previously
one

-should I defoliate and trim most of un necessary branches now
-or let it grow

First make sure you aren't going to air-layer.

true some btreanches are one finger thick and 2 -3 phalanges long chopped neat
with new growth sprouting all directions an horror !
I thought I mught make a layering will see if ..

Then remove branches
you are SURE you won't want, either as structural elements, or as
sacrifice branches (branches you'll use to thicken the trunk, then
cut off). Then exercise some patience. I've become so patient I
don't do anything but look at a tree for the first year, which may be
carrying it too far.

LOL! I am putting my hands in my pockets and away from tools too !!!
very hard and always regretted a hasty decision thsio is why I asked here for
advice

The zen-like Nina, who hopes to see some of you-all at the Potomac
Bonsai Society Spring show tomorrow. I'll be wearing red cowboy
boots: you'll recognise me.

I wish I could be there :-)
Thanks for your advice Nina
enjoy the show !
Theo

Old 03-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Theo

HI Nina
I am stydying my maple following your advice.. it helps
I have to ask you one thing as you are quite keen in plants chemistry & deseases
I had a wonderful cicatrizing material sort of yellow sap wood glue that
dried and fell in dust with time.. not available in the market anymore
unfortunately sniff!
so I decided to make one myself

I took incens , mirrah ( both are for smoldering )and bee wax ( natural one) I
make a fine dust of the first two and mix with wax I get a sort of material that
is malleable .. some heat will melt and I can spam on the cuts and it clogs
again. adding fresh pine sap or a drop of turpentine/white spirit will do the
same..
I think that mix should preserve from water decay and deseases what do you
think ?
moreover teh color is almost bark like so does not offend sight when put in
visible places
just you opinion
Have a nice week end
Theo

Red Maple / Silver Maple What's the Difference? [email protected] Gardening 5 19-06-2005 10:28 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] desojo maple please help Mark Hill Bonsai 1 09-11-2003 12:22 AM
[IBC] Maple advice Harry L Abel Bonsai 7 06-05-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Cut Paste; was [IBC] Maple advice Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 06-05-2003 04:32 AM
[IBC] Wound Dressing (was Maple advice) Alan Walker Bonsai 0 06-05-2003 02:22 AM