Old 03-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] More Japanese Maple problems

Iris Cohen wrote (responding to James):

The thing that most concerns me is i noticed that one of his leaves has a
cluster of fine hair-like structures ending in white oval blobs on its (sic)
underside.

Those are the eggs of a lacewing. Those are the good guys.

Iris - I second your motion!
And James, in case you're not sure, and for anyone else who's curious,
here's a website with nice pictures of lacewings and ladybugs, in both
their familiar adult and (rather peculiar) larval and egg stages:

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/comhort/no...eneficials.htm

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.
What does that say about you, she said, that you like
undressed trees. A voyeur."
-from a poem by Kay Cheever

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-05-2003, 09:32 AM
lou E

different problem

i have 2 green japanese maple that are jsut now coming out. one of them
was the earliest to break a bud in february. Is this normal? I think the
hot spell in january tricked them the cold sent them back to sleep.
any ideas?

2. i bought supposedly 2 red japanese maples one is going on 2 years in
my posssesion the other over 5 neither are red. the older one has in the
past as it i now become blotchy, not deep green im hoping they will turn
red. they are getting about 5 hours sun. any suggestions?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Brent Walston

At 01:21 AM 5/3/03 -0400, lou E wrote:
different problem

i have 2 green japanese maple that are jsut now coming out. one of them
was the earliest to break a bud in february. Is this normal? I think the
hot spell in january tricked them the cold sent them back to sleep.
any ideas?

This happens a lot with Acer palmatum. They want to bud out with the first
warm spell in late winter, usually setting themselves up for a late freeze
and total defoliation. This is the first winter in the last four that mine
haven't been devastated.

Keep them from freezing, the arrested growth will start again when it warms
up. Treat them normally. Don't over water.

2. i bought supposedly 2 red japanese maples one is going on 2 years in
my posssesion the other over 5 neither are red. the older one has in the
past as it i now become blotchy, not deep green im hoping they will turn
red. they are getting about 5 hours sun. any suggestions?

Red Japanese maple, Acer palmatum var atropurpureum has red new growth
only. As the leaves harden, they begin to turn green or a bronze green,
sometimes dark purple green. Leaves in more shade are greener, leaves in
sun are darker. Direct sunlight is necessary for good red color, BUT A.p.
var atro. is also much more susceptible to leaf burn, hot wind, etc, so it
is nearly impossible to give them enough sunlight to keep them red for very
long. The only place that I have seen that allows them maximum sunlight and
thus long lasting red color is just above the fog belt along the ocean on
the West Coast in N. CA. If you want more lasting red color, get a
cultivar. It is hard to beat 'Bloodgood' for long lasting red color, but
even it is mostly green by mid summer.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Alan Walker

Anita: Thanks for sharing this interesting web page.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================

===============

Old 04-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Iris Cohen

Red Japanese maple, Acer palmatum var atropurpureum has red new growth only.
As the leaves harden, they begin to turn green or a bronze green, sometimes
dark purple green.

The so-called 'Atropurpureum' strain are generally seedlings, so they vary
widely. I have one that I picked out of a group. It is planted at the southwest
corner of the house, in Zone 5. It does get some shade in late afternoon. Mine
is dark red almost all season long. It does turn greenish around July-August,
but even then, the new leaves are red, so it is not that green. And before
long, it starts to get its autumn color, which is a different shade of red.
Even last summer, which was so incredibly hot, it held its red color, but some
of the leaf edges got scorched. And it is such a good grower, it is only about
5 years old, but I have to give it a major pruning, since it is in the
foundation planting. My 'Butterfly' survived our harsh winter with no problems.
But I notice the neighbor down the street lost her 'Crimson Queen.'
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 05-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Steve wachs

BODY {font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;}

The leaves on my Maples turn brown from the wind. I defoliate some trees when
I get them outside. The leaves that develop outside seem t hold up against
the wind and do not brown.
SteveWLI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Japanese Maple problems Mike Gardening 4 17-06-2003 11:08 PM
[IBC] Japanese Maple propagation James Harris Bonsai 1 26-04-2003 12:44 AM
[IBC] Japanese Maple Update Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 14-04-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) kevin bailey Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 09:56 AM
[IBC] - Japanese Maple Question David J. Bockman Bonsai 4 30-03-2003 02:44 PM